Am I a Barracuda or Look-a-Like? (Bonaire)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cuda, cuda cuda

Well depending on what you reference, there are between 18 and 26 different types of barracuda. Perhaps it is one but just not one you normally would see.

I caught a pickerel once that was so fat and big it looked like a northern pike which I had also caught in the past. We actually had to count the number of sensory pores on the bottom jaw to make sure it was a pickerel.

In my training, I learned that here are only three species of Barracuda in this part of the world and two don't grow as large as this. This is a Great Barracuda that is either well fed or very ill. Torpedo body, fin placement & shapes, body bars, spots, mouth, plus some visible white fin tips (dorsal & anal fins in this photo series) verify the ID, IMO. The first dorsal segment may have been lost or may be retracted, hard to tell.

Definitely not a 'cuda. Not shaped like that. Possibly a Little Tunny but the tail is wrong. The shape, tail and depressed head suggest a Snook except it lacks the distinct lateral line. You got me - except that it ain't no barracuda.

The tail is so distinctive don't think it can be anything but . Check out the tail closely particularly on the very first picture . Very particular shape like this. {

Barracuda. Yes. :)

Looks like a barracuda to me except that it is too fat, perhaps it had just eaten something?

Larger barracuda often grow proportionally wider. This is certainly a barracuda, and based on where seen, it is a great barracuda, Sphyraena barracuda.

Lets see the common descriptions of a cuda

Its body is long, fairly compressed...rely on surprise and short bursts of speed to overtake their prey
Despite the difference in size and colour between barracuda species, all species of barracuda have a similar elongated appearance, and pointed head with powerful jaws, containing rows of sharp fang-like teeth used for eating larger prey.... slender, streamlined body ... The top of the head between the eyes is nearly flat and the mouth is large,

Now this fish the OP has filmed clearly does not have the body capable of short bursts of speed or a pointy jaw/head and clearly does not fit the description of an elongated appearance or closely resemble the parameters above. Unless Cuda's suffer from obesity like humans do ..
eyebrow.gif

Its something else... NotACuda! NotACuda! NotACuda! NotACuda! :no: :banana:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom