Am I a Barracuda or Look-a-Like? (Bonaire)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another fat Great Barracuda for comparison
great_barracuda_Sphyraena_barracuda_IMG_5041.jpg

I know I'm just feeding the trolls here, but the OP was taking photos from the perspective of behind the fish which will make it look shorter in proportion.

Ddeborahdelamore, they could be twins! :)

cuda, cuda, cuda

Definitely not a 'cuda. Not shaped like that. Possibly a Little Tunny but the tail is wrong. The shape, tail and depressed head suggest a Snook except it lacks the distinct lateral line. You got me - except that it ain't no barracuda.
LOL a tuna???? I've speared many hundreds of them, they get large and fat and that is a cuda.

I would say that is a very well fed Great Barracuda. The camera angle is compressing the length visually.

As for the other barracuda image, I have seen that mottled pattern on young barracuda. However they were only about 12"/30 cm long and in eel grass, not on a reef.

Barracuda will turn darker and the black blotches will stand out more right after they eat. I've shot a number of them like that laying on the bottom and when I gutted them, they had a fresh fish in their bellies. Great Barracuda. Guaranteed.

Pearlman and Kharon are both absolutely dead wrong.

This is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, a Great Barracuda. The black spots on the lower rear body make it a Great Barracuda beyond any possible doubt. No other fish have the same profile and black spots.

What's confusing people seem to be fin shape and coloring. Guess what? Fish can change color! In seconds, I've seen barracuda go from black, to silver, or spotted to silver. But those black spots on the lower rear never change. Relying on fin shape to identify a fish is preposterous with a species like a Barracuda; they can change as the fish moves.

Great Barracuda. 100% Those saying different need to attend Fish 101 again.

It is definitely a barracuda. the spots on the lower body, the shape of the head, etc. I've seen plenty of those big chubby ones hanging out on wrecks down here. They can lay their top forward dorsal fin down.

Like this one:
great%20barracuda.jpg

Chubby one:
images

Dark one:
hqdefault.jpg

Back
Top Bottom