Am I the only one using Atlas gloves with Si tech oval rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the SiTec rings with the the orange Atlas gloves. Slightly thinner material than the blue ones. No issues after the first 2-3 dives to get the hang of them.

I use the SiTec rings with the the orange Atlas gloves. Slightly thinner material than the blue ones. No issues after the first 2-3 dives to get the hang of them.

So do you leave the gloves attached to your suit then? Also, do you use seals with the rings too?

So do you leave the gloves attached to your suit then? Also, do you use seals with the rings too?

No. I un-snap the gloves/rings from the suit when I'm done.
The seals are still in place, as that is part of what seals water between the wrist rings that stay on the suit.
(one of the seals is ripped, but because I use the gloves, it does not matter. no water gets into the gloves/suit)

E is glued to suit.
C is wrist seal, which is sandwiched between E and D, and stays in the suit.

B is an insert that goes over C into D, to prevent fabric from thermals (or glove inserts) from interfering with the tabs from A.

A is made up of 2 pieces that sandwich the glove (in blue) and keep it attached.

The A assembly is then inserted/snapped into D when you are ready to don the gloves, and un-snaps when you are done.

antares_components_1.jpg

I use the Si-Tech permanent round rings with a latex seal installed and then I just slip the black gloves over my rings. Has been flawless so far.

Thanks for the info everyone. I am indeed familiar with the Antares dry glove system as well as the various round ring dry glove systems available.

My original question however was whether anyone was using the SiTech oval rings with blue Atlas gloves sandwiched in between the suit's sleeves and the oval ring inserts (i.e. E and D in above diagram) as originally described by user evad at the beginning of this thread.

My drysuit already has the oval rings installed but I have been hesitant to purchase the Antares system as it seems to have universally poor reviews with people documenting difficulty snapping the tabs in to place. It does seem however that the majority of those reviews were written before the introduction of the red ring insert into the system, so perhaps the Antares system is more reliable now?

I was using the Antares system with blue Atlas gloves with no luck. It was nearly impossible to get the gloves into the rings without breaking a ring. When I did manage to get them in they would pop off in the water, even with the red ring.

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but what became of this? Any success replacing the wrist seal with a pair of gloves directly on the SiTech oval rings rather than use the Antares system? What brand of glove did you use? Seems like a great option for nixxing Antares issues if your suit has oval rings.

I tried with no luck. I eventually removed the oval rings and replaced them with round rings which I am able to use the blue Atlas gloves with.

Interesting.

Why couldn't it be done? Is the interior or the gloves fabric, which would prevent a seal? Too big for the rings? Too much bulk for the rings to clip shut?

Here's my issue: I'm a commercial diver and don't dive with dry gloves because gloves take a beating. They're practically disposable, and we have certain brands and features that we like... All of which are rated to ANSI standards against cut and abrasion.

Naturally, we use them with wrist seals when we dive dry. Sometimes we also wear 3mm neoprene wet gloves underneath the work gloves for warmth.

The problem is... I can't get wrist seals to seal when I'm working hard. I'm always wet up to the elbows, and over the past 100 dives I've tried bottle seals, cone seals, pushing the seals up my forearms, and everything. I have huge wrist tendons and forearms that create huge channels no matter where I put the seal. The harder I work, the wetter I get. It's enough to make a guy dive wet in the winter. Most of my competitors do.

My drysuits have oval rings. Maybe I'll change that, but until I hang up the drysuits in April or so, I need a solution. Antares seems like it'd work, but there's no way I'm going to have the time for a fiddly system... And if it breaks, I'll leave it at the bottom of the sea. Might even light it on fire first. :)

...So my thought was to remove the wrist seal and install a thin, stretchable nitrile surgical glove... Then whatever work glove and/or wet glove over it. That way, I'd be dry permenantly and still be able to change gloves at will. With the right glove, fixing neck seals and such wouldn't be a problem and would basically be like not wearing a glove at all.

In looking to see if anyone else had done this before, I came across this thread.

My question to you is... Why didn't it work for you? What should I avoid? I'm not trying to end up with a dryglove... I'm trying to end up with a wet glove with wrist seals that will never leak.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom