Amazing dive sites between San Francisco and Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Next summer I am thinking of doing a road trip to the west coast. I will end up driving north from San Francisco.

Any suggestions of "must dive" locations in Northern California, Oregon and Washington States?

Everybody I know in the area loved Point Lobos. It's a marine preserve with a great kelp forest and nice views if you are lucky with visibility. I've been there in bad viz and still absolutely loved it. Will definitely come back more. You need to have a buddy and book a spot online in advance for this one though.

My friends also recommend Monastery Beach, but that location has a dangerous entry/exit even when the weather is nice, so I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

The Mendocino area is pretty stellar. Depending on the swell and the direction, the Mendocino Headlands are one of my favorite go to's, specifically the Pipeline and Deathly Hallows. Van Damme and Jack Peter's are also popular dive spots in the area.

A bit more northward in Humboldt County, the South Getty near Eureka is gorgeous on a calm day.

I second the vote for Point Lobos, just south of Monterey/Carmel. Beautiful location, easy entry, but you need a reservation/buddy. Number of divers per day is limited. Monastery Beach is a good alternative, but beware of surf and gravel entry. They call the exit technique "the Monastery crawl for a reason.

van damme state park and gerstle cove can be good. problem is conditions are pretty variable and vis sometimes is not great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom