Amazing dive with 2 seals tonight!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeckyll

Contributor
Reaction score
Alan and I headed out to Whitecliff as planned and immediately from the start of the dive we had 2 seals hunt in our lights. They got so close I had to tuck in my hand so that it wouldn't touch the seals!!! :D

The best part, they stuck around for about 20 minutes

Absolutely awesome!! :D

Islet. We were going to visit our friend the octo, but the seals caused us to just take our time and let them hunt right around us. It was too good to pass up :)

Viz was poor which I think is why the seals stayed so close.

Bjorn

very cool, had a similar thing happen once, the predators really seem to like the lights so will stick to you like glue as you help them hunt. Makes for a fun dive.

Wow... I didn't realize that U.S. Navy Seals did exercises in Canada. Just teasing ya.

i will remember that for the rest of my life. awesome dive! seals rule, so gracefull.

The resident seal at Whytecliff will stick with you 90% of the time your in the 20-70 fsw range. We see the seal pretty much everytime we night dive.

I will agree, it was really cool the first time, but after the 10th time, you just really want to enjoy your dive and see some wildlife instead of stunning fish with your light so the fat seal dosen't have to work as hard. They are too lazy. Now I know why they can afford to sit on the rocks all day and sleep.

Or maybe it's just our lights?

We had similar issue with the seal @ Ansell Point. After a while the novelty of watching your back and fin pulling wears off and changes your dive. IMO. cool but...
On our way into the shallows tho it was pretty funny watching it swim past and see how close he would get to us for belly rubs. very friendly.
Les

I missed this thread the first time round.. I've dived our local seal colony in Port Philip Bay a couple of times - there is one particular channel marker buoy where the seals congregate. They have tried to make another one further from the channel, but as far as I know the seals still like the original.

Gotta make sure you surface away from the marker, otherwise one might roll off on top of you. Ouch! But they are extremely playful in 10m-15m. I started doing twists and somersaults, and some of them started copying everything I did. Really cool!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom