Amazingly Preserved 132 Yr. Old Shipwreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives

CLICK photo for underwater video of wreck.

The wreck of the J. S. Seaverns was found earlier in this year. This passenger steamer went aground on a reef off Michiictoen Island on My 10, 1884. During attempts to pull her off the vessel sank. The vessel was constructed up from the bottom hull of the steamer Sam Ward and was first enrolled on August 28, 1880 in Grand Haven, MI.. After the sinking, the wreck was sold to Canadian interests but never salvaged. In more recent times ...

"A team of shipwreck hunters has added another find to its long list of discoveries. Jerry Eliason, Dan Fountain, Nick Lintgen, Ken Merryman and Kraig Smith found the J.S. Seaverns in Michipicoten Harbor, Ontario, announcing it with spectacular underwater footage of the well-preserved wreck. Plates and bowls still sit stacked in cabinets, more than 130 years after the vessel went down.

Continued at: Amazingly Preserved 132 Yr. Old Shipwreck - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

Last edited:
I know Ken Merryman well. This group has amazing discoveries under their belt and unlike other wreck hunters, they search for wrecks that no diver can seriously dive. Another great discovery here in our Great Lkaes.

Yes, a typo, thanks. There is a good deal more pre-1984 info about the wreck in the writeup at Amazingly Preserved 132 Yr. Old Shipwreck - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

Living in Florida and not getting up to the Great Lakes much I have long been intrigued by the unusual state of preservation of some of your wrecks compared to what we have in more southerly waters. I can recall the first time I learned of the Scourage and Hamilton in the Niagara River, after Cousteau accidentally sheared the mast with his dive saucer. It was astounding to learn old timber wrecks in such good shape existed.

Larry Murphy of the NPS was to have us up to do some photo surveying of wrecks in the Isle Royale National Park in the early 1980's. There wasn't enough budget to cover expenses but in hindsight I wish we performed the survey anyway. A good book was prepared on the actual wreck survey once performed by others with some excellent documentation. https://www.amazon.com/Shipwrecks-Isle-Royale-National-Park/dp/0942235185

upload_2016-11-4_13-37-25.png

They were on maneuvers in the Niagara River and were reportedly lost in a storm near the mouth of the river in Lake Ontario from accounts I had read years back. The exact location was suppressed in those days over fears of divers plundering the wrecks. I sat in on a presentation on the wrecks by Dr. Nelson in the 1970's in St. Catherines and when asked he had no comment on the location, logically enough. It is good to finally see a mapped location.

Last edited:
There is a story that will make many divers blood boil over the Hamilton and Scourge. There was a group of divers that challenged the government of Ontario over access to the sites. A guy called Scott Stitt led a series of dives in the early 2000s to the wreck. The introduction of zebra mussels caused smaller artifacts to disappear and become encrusted, while the weight has caused the wrecks to sag in on itself. The zebra mussels caused calcium deficiency in the water and that in turn caused the bones of the crewman to disappear. Every time I hear about those wrecks my blood pressure spikes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom