Ambergris, Caulker, Turneffe or Placencia/Glover's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMGinger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

*Edit* I probably should have posted this as a follow-up post in my pre/post liveaboard thread, but too late..

I'm looking for some advice on where to go prior to my BA3 trip this month. My wife and I have four days before the BA3 departs and we're looking to do some refresher dives and possibly complete our AOW certification (secondary objective if time permits). It's been over a year for me and close to two for her, so looking to start with a couple easy dives and then move on from there.

I'm leaning towards Caulker or Ambergris due to the ease of access (multiple daily ferries). I figure we would avoid Turneffe since it seems that is on the BA3's route (differing opinions welcomed!). I don't know much about diving out of Placencia, but any info or recommendations will be appreciated.

Some recommendations I've seen thus far are:

Ambergris (San Pedro)
•Belize Pro Divers
•Ecologic Divers
•Ramon's
•B&D Belize Magical Adventures

Caye Caulker
•Black Durgeon

Placencia
•Splash

I haven't been to AC or Caye Caulker, but I've been to Placencia many times and go pretty much every year for nearly a month at a time.

As far as ease of access, they're all easy especially if you fly.

You're going to fly into Phillip Goldson International, which is about 20 miles outside of Belize City. If you choose to do a water taxi, you'll need to take a cab into Belize City and get dropped off at the water taxi station. If you fly, you'll walk out of Customs, through the door and into the airport proper, where you'll catch either Maya or Tropic Airlines, the two puddle jumpers of Belize. Placencia would be the furthest of the three destinations and would take about a half hour flight time. Between the two airlines, you won't have to wait long for a flight to any of the three.

I'm not trying to discourage you from taking a water taxi. If you're the adventurous type, you'll enjoy getting to see some of Belize City, which is pretty rough but imho well worth seeing (I'm in the minority here on this) as well as the boat ride. But flying is quicker and frankly, most tourists are afraid of Belize City, which is actually not an unreasonable reaction when you see it, especially the first time.

Since I have no personal experience with AC and Caye Caulker, I can't really opine on the above dive ops but I suspect they all could accommodate refeshers and AOW certificates. I am certain Splash in Placencia can as I've dived with them for many years and have seen many divers get their OW and AOW certificates through Splash. In fact, I got my Master Scuba Diver rating there (not to be confused with the far more advanced Diver Master certificate) a few years ago through Splash.

The dive ops in Belize are used to new divers and/or divers who haven't dived in a while so you shouldn't present any sort of unique challenge to them. Always best to contact the dive op in advance to confirm.

Have a great trip!

I would highly recommend Caye Caulker. Much more laid back than Ambergris, no cars and cheaper. Ambergris is overrun with cars & golf carts IMO. Been to both places several times. Can't go wrong with Black Durgeon Dives (Black Durgon Dives || ...for time under water!) in Caye Caulker either. Simone & Cory are great people and very knowledgeable of the dive sites, most will be off Ambergris. They don't have a typical panga either, very roomy dive boat with twin 200 hp engines. They will also do day trips to Turneffe Atoll, not to be missed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom