Ambergris Caye degree of difficulty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mkcochran

Registered
Reaction score
Have read some threads making me wonder about how rough the surface is especially for getting back on the boat after a dive. We are in our mid 50's and the gear is getting heavier when exiting the water. What's the truth?

Thanks

Hi MK:

http://www.belizediscover.com/Belize_diving.htm

Here's a link to a site that gives you an idea of the best seasons to visit Belize for diving.

We were diving in Ambergris Caye earlier this year and it was right after a week of uncommonly high trade winds. They'd had to cancel all dives that week because the seas were just too rough. This was at the end of May. We were fortunate that we got there the week after. It was still a little windy but we had a week and a half of beautiful diving. As with any open water diving, I think it's just hit and miss with the conditions and Belize doesn't seem to be any exception. But as for being rough seas 100% of the time, no that's not the case.

We dove with Amigos del Mar and if you contact them, I'm sure they'll be glad to give you a heads up on what the diving forecast is for the coming week. They were very good about helping you with your gear when entering/exiting the water. Hope you have fun, let me know if you want more info on Ambergris :)

.. where the water crashes the reef. When we were there (a few days after tropical storm Chantal) the first day it was pretty choppy, but the rest of the week it wasn't too bad. There were a couple of older folks on our boat and they didn't have too much trouble getting back in (that is after that first day). Our dive op had us take off our gear and the crew grabbed it an pulled it up for us so when we climed the ladder we didn't have to carry the weight of the gear up with us as we exited. Whoever you choose to dive with, if they don't already do their water exits like our dive op did, they probably would (or could) do the same with you. You might want to do a little research on when is the best time of year to go for calmer waters.. instead of going right after a tropical storm like I did.

Also, there are a couple of dive sites inside the reef where the water is much calmer, although they are only about 15' to 30' depending on the site and not nearly as impressive as the sites at the barrier reef.

BTW, it ROCKED!!..

Have fun if ya go.

and lucky me, a tropical depression came in the night I got there and (naturally) cleared out the day I was leaving. I stayed on AC and dove with Amigos del Mar. We had a great time diving Hol Chan--it was inside the reef and the water was nice and calm, plus there was plenty to see. We dove it twice and saw different things both times.

The rough water made diving outside the reef very difficult--the boat had twin engines (120's?) and still had to attempt the crossing several times before we finally got over. The waves were really high and getting back on the boat wasn't easy. We only did 1 dive outside the reef--the 2nd time we tried, we attempted to cross for about 10 minutes before we unanimously voted to go back to Hol Chan. We also did a snorkel trip to Hol Chan and Shark/Ray alley one day when the afternoon dives were cancelled (the weather got even worse, if you can believe that) and that was a lot of fun.

The best diving I experienced while I was there was an all-day trip to Turneffe Elbow and 2 other sites. This was done off Amigo's big boat and the diving was fabulous--the reefs were pristine and we even saw sharks and dolphins! It was a 2.5 hour ride and was rough at times but was far better than riding in the little boats. They served an incredible lunch, too, by the way. If you're staying on AC I would recommend doing at least 1 or 2 day trips to get more of the great diving Belize is known for. Some operators even offer overnight trips to some of the more remote locations.

I wouldn't worry about entry/exit with gear--one of my friends is "mobility-challenged" and had no trouble whatsoever. The crew was great at helping her when she needed it. The water was so rough, they usually had all of us take off our gear and would haul it aboard for us, then would help us up the ladder. At one point when I almost got pushed into the running engine by a wave, 2 of the crew each grabbed an arm and literally hauled me out of the water! Boy what an experience that trip was....good thing I love diving! LOL

You might want to send an email it Playablancabeachclub@yahoo.com
Gaz, the owner lives there, on Ambergris, and will be able to answer several of your questions.
He is also an active member of this board.

The easiest way to "hand your gear up" to the DM/Boatsman over the gunnel of the boat- is to make it easy- for them!

The small loop on the upper inside back of most b.c.'s is a sturdy bit of nylon, but way too small to be of any real use. Tie a 30" length of suitable nylon strapping (3/4" wide) to the small loop, then at the free end, tie a nice loop bigger than a man's hand.

When you come alongside, inflate your b.c. slightly, slip it off, and hold nothing out of the water except the end of the loop- passing it to the boatsman. Then- stand clear! They appreciate not having to lean over and kill themselves.

Whilst diving, wear the trailing nylon against your back and inner b.c. When you need it, it will be right where you can find it. I suggest a bright color like yellow, etc.

This really works, and it works well.

Diving off Ambergris is not like diving Bonaire or Cozumel or caymans for that matter.

All those destinations dive the leeward side of the islands so its always calm waters with the very odd day when it is rough.

Diving Ambergris is different and most people dont realize it but Ambergris is located on the windward side and we do not have the luxury of a leeward side to dive from as it is too shallow (ie 10ft) so we always dive the windward side.

This presents a new diving experience for many visitors to Ambergris and in my opinion you will be a more experienced better diver when leaving the island after a week of diving.

The diving is never absolutely flat with the exception of a few weeks in the summer, normal conditions are 2-4ft seas for the majority of the time but during late feb and march it can be 6-8ft

This should not deter divers as to us its not rough at all but to a diver that has only been exposed to the calm diving of Boanaire or cozumel you can see there eyes widen when headig thru the cut with just 3ft rollers.

However after the first dive and the initial shock of the new conditions they quickly adapt and become better divers for it.

We do not exit into the boat with equipment on you will hand your weight belt up first and then remove your BCD and the boat captain will bring that into the boat and then finally remove your fins and climb the ladder into the boat.

Diving Ambergris is well worth the effort as we have some great diving plus you become a better more experinced diver as well.

Dive Safe

Gaz Cooper
Gaz Cooper's DIVE BELIZE
www.DiveBelize.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom