American divers get no respect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't French Polynesia an oxymoron? Was there a plebiscite?

Respect goes both ways. I rarely give respect when none is given to me. It doesn't matter why you disrespect me either. I'm both fat and American but I bet few can match my skills in the water. Isn't that what Scuba is all about?

Respect goes both ways. I rarely give respect when none is given to me.
I guess that's rather universal on both sides of the Atlantic - and the Pacific for that case - and probably the main reason that this thread devolved into a trainwreck of epic proportions.

I have been diving in French Polynesia the past two summers and I have run up against a distinct disdain for American divers based on our predominant certification agency; PADI. You get no respect. Dive operators sneer at the mention of PADI.

Strange. I am spending a two-month diving vacations here in French Polynesia and have no issues at all (I am a newbie O.W. and got certified in Australia). In none of the places I dived (Tahiti with Top Dive and Tahiti-Iti Diving, Mo'orea with Top Dive, Huahine with Mahana Dive, Raiatea with Hemisphere Sub, and Bora Bora with Eleuthera/Bora Diving) I had any issues for being PADI-certified. Quite the contrary. I was very well treated by everybody here. Some of the shops are PADI, and they even have PADI courses and certifications...

Maybe it was a problem with a specific shop or person.

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2015 at 04:04 PM ----------

Isn't French Polynesia an oxymoron? Was there a plebiscite?

No, it is not an oxymoron. Polynesia is (etnically) a triangule formed by Hawai'i, New Zealand, and Easter Island.

There was a plebiscite in the 1960s and they voted to stay a French territory.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom