Amount of weight for a White Fusion dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sfdiver140

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going through new equipment adjustments and need help figuring out my weight amount, so what would be a good way to figure this out for diving in a White Fusion dry suit. I am 205 lbs. Is the formula different from a wet suit. I use to use the formula 10% of the body weight plus 5lbs and go from there. Thank you for all your help.

Depends on the undergarment(s), salt or freash, etc. Probably a bit less than most drysuits but the best way is to try it out in a pool where you can test the weight amount and distribution.

Throw all "weight formulas" out the window. There's no substitute for a proper weight check. Either do one, as TC suggests, in a pool or just do one before/after an easy shore dive. The only useful calculation you should know is how to convert your weighting requirements in fresh water to salt water (and vice versa). To do this, add 2.5% of your total weight (you + all of your gear) to convert your "pool weighting" (fresh water) to salt water weighting.

All other gear being the same, your weighting can vary significantly based on which undergarment you happen to be wearing. Some of my dive buddies have to add as much as 6 lbs. when they switch from their regular undergarments to "winter" undergarments (with the same shell drysuit).

FWIW, I found that my weighting needs were very similar when wearing the Fusion + MK2 vs. my Bare Nex-Gen Pro + T-100. YMMV.
Since you're in Northern California, you probably require something a little warmer than the MK2 alone (perhaps layer with a fleece pullover). Personally I found the MK2 not warm enough for local winter diving (low to mid 50 degrees F). Once again, YMMV.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...but you didn't mention which undergarment you're wearing.

I agree with the weight check. The formulas were always a starting point and since the Fusion is unlike any other kind of drysuit, the forumla doesn't work so well. If anything, you'll end up with way too much lead. When I made the switch, I was able to drop nearly 6 pounds going from a Pinnacle Evo2 to a Fusion plus no bubble to maintain. Wahoo!

FWIW, I am 200lb, 6ft and dive regularly with 200 weight fleece to to a low of 37F for 30min with 28lb. No ice diving yet, but might have to put on another layer.

Last edited:
I started out with Tobin's recommendation; get in your suit with full undergarments, hood and whatever else you wear - but no BP/wing tank etc.. Bring a bag of weights to the water and see what it'll take to *just* sink you with your suit completely "shrink wrapped". Then you will have a starting point for approximate calculations of how much weight you'll need.

For instance:

- SS BP: -6 lbs
- Empty AL80: +4 lbs
- Regulator set ~ -2 to 3 lbs

etc. etc.

Henrik

When I had my trilaminate suit, I dove with 22lbs - with the fusion I dive with 16lbs.

I dive with 6lbs in a 3mm full suit

Each person has different buoyancy characteristics to start with - in a pool I can dive a 3mil with zero weight - other people I know need 10-12lbs in a pool with the same set up and similar body weight.

As has been suggested, do a good weight check. If you have experience with another dry suit, I would say start where you were with that suit and work it down (as I said, I dive with 6lbs less now).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom