AN/DP versus Extended Range Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have taken the TDI AN/DP, so I'm pretty sure I know what is in those courses. :giggle:

However, I went to the TDI Extended Range Diver site, and I'm not understanding what this course would give me that hasn't been covered in the AN/DP . . . except, perhaps, the official 'blessing' to go deeper than 150' . . .

Can someone help me out?

Certification for 55m on air

Yeah . . that's kind of what I'm seeing . . . currently, I'm 'blessed' to go to 45m on air.

Another course will 'allow' me another 10m (33').

Sorry, it's just not adding up.

Jax:

A little history is in order.

The original AN/DP course was designed to introduce student to modest decompression (one deco gas etc, etc). Extended Range was originally intended to build on those modest limits AND allow for tougher conditions, including longer decompressions with two staged gases. Depth was always a secondary factor.

However, Extended Range became a course used to allow divers to get deeper without the use of helium to temper oxygen and nitrogen toxicity. As such, only a few of the instructors I know diving in colder water, taught the course, since it was easier to teach the newly released Entry-level Trimix, which was essentially the same skill set. (Now all this was in the 1990s).

Several TDI instructors -- me included -- adapted Extended Range to become a sort of expedition diver class and forewent the deep on air aspect... FYI, the outline I developed for my old extended range course is the framework for a new course and book I am working on specifically for expedition and support team divers.

As time went on, TDI developed Helitrox Decompression (which I teach in replacement of AN/DP) and Extended Range became a sort of red-headed step-child in a large area of North America. The last instructor program I taught at this level was someplace warm and far away.

Would you get anything from the course? Depends on the instructor I guess. Personally, I believe you would do better to do a trimix class or get a Helitrox Deco upgrade, which would allow you to dive to 60 metres and 45 metres with an equivalent air depth of 30 metres or less.

Thanks, Steve!

Considering what I got from the AN/DP course, I'm thinking we covered Extended range . . . however, I'm also sure Eric could throw something in there! :fear: :laughing:

We're just a little short of materials way down here . . . like, helium . . . :lol:

Seriously, thanks very much. :hugs:

It's also a chance to do another course with an instructor and refine some skills blah blah whatever. Don't do it then

True, but it would just be a card. I'm just as happy to get some private instruction time, and not bind my guy to course material he already covered.

Would you get anything from the course? Depends on the instructor I guess. Personally, I believe you would do better to do a trimix class or get a Helitrox Deco upgrade, which would allow you to dive to 60 metres and 45 metres with an equivalent air depth of 30 metres or less.
I skipped it and just went straight to Trimix. I don't see any reason to take it myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom