AN/DP versus Extended Range Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know of an instructor around here that bundles Ext Range with Basic Trimix. I also know of a couple of others that just recommend skipping Ext Range and going directly to trimix. One of those explained that he does not believe that our local cold, dark, and current ridden waters are appropriate for Ext Range (ie deep air to 180'). I think one material difference between AN/DP vs Ext Range is that you'll have to be able to handle two stage/deco cylinders instead of just one. Adv Tmx will require you to handle 3 cylinders.

Oops. :blush:

I've been kind of handling two deco bottles for a while.

Due to my propensity for sub-clinical DCS symptoms, I've carried a bottle of 40% for a long time, and use it for an "ascent" gas as well as my pony when solo. (No, Virginia, I do not dive solo below the MOD!)

When I did AN/DP, I argued my instructor into letting me carry both 80% and 40%.

I skipped it and just went straight to Trimix. I don't see any reason to take it myself.

Most students would agree... cannot recall last time i was asked for a stand-alone student-level program for ER in North America.
Jax,

are you doing this all in Sidemount?

Of course... why not!?

Of course! Is there any other way? :scorned:

:rofl3: :joke:

One aspect of Advanced Trimix in SM that does not HAVE to be covered as closely in Traditional North Florida Cave Rig is the buoyancy characteristics of the third bottle of deco gas...

Oops. :blush:

When I did AN/DP, I argued my instructor into letting me carry both 80% and 40%.

Wish I'd watched that... would have been fun! LOL

Wish I'd watched that... would have been fun! LOL

Yeah, no kidding! :laughing:

One of these days I'm going to get a video of me doing mask exchange in full rig. :shakehead:

For those of you not familiar . . .

In sidemount, if you look at Doppler, Dive-aholic, Kevin Carlisle, they have all their gear nicely placed and tied off, neat as a pin. They are also like 6 or 7 feet tall . . .

Then you look at us 5' 4" gals, and the backup dive lights w/clip are longer than our shoulder harnesses, and the D-rings are stacked inches apart because we run out of 'turf', our can light is on our back D-rings because if you hang it on the slides, the can light is at the back of your knees . . .

Now hang a left and a right pony in front ('cause I don't quite have that back-slinging thing down yet) . . . Yep, I'm a freaking Christmas tree. :(

After much trial and error, here are the steps for mask replacement (mask in left pocket).
1 - unhook right deco tank top clip and drop (watch me sway as the pendulum rocks)
2 - snake a hand down to the pocket tab. (No, not the tanks' hose retainer tab, exactly the same size)
3 - bring up knee and 'stomp' down as you simultaneously pull Pocket flap tab
4 - if it doesn't open in three tugs, let go of the tank hose retainer tab and remember the pocket tab has a d-ring
5 - finally get mask out, and put on.

:D

:blush:

Well, Steve seems like a giant to me! :worship:

Maybe you can teach us to be a neat as a pin as you are in your pics! :cool3:

True, but it would just be a card

Yep, as I said in my OP

There has been at least one occasion when I was very happy to have had the certification though

I have certainly seen more than one operator that said they wanted to see at least an Extended Range certification for certain dives. Although on at least one occasion, they certainly didn't enforce the rule against the members of our group who "only" had AN/DP.

Not wanting to hijack, but deepish air still has its place in helium retarded areas of the world. I can well imagine why ER is not popular in safety conscious and helium rich North America, but I think it would be a mistake to kill off the course.

My Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures was taught with two deco gasses. Every dive was with two bottles, I'm guessing there's some variation in how the course can be taught.
It'll be awhile before I start considering progressing to furthere training, I just want to dive for now.

But I am curious about which course to take next, TDI seems to have a few different classes that I'm not sure about. I'm glad this question was asked.
When I do look to take more training, I'm considering going to Okinawa for training. The shop down there I'm looking at is NAUI Tech, so I'll have to look into what course to take next if I go there.

-Mitch

Not wanting to hijack, but deepish air still has its place in helium retarded areas of the world. I can well imagine why ER is not popular in safety conscious and helium rich North America, but I think it would be a mistake to kill off the course.

I can't see it dieing off. Especially when you have PADI running the Tec50 program and IANTD allowing you to either take Technical Nitrox (Extended Range bascially) OR Normoxic Trimix as a precursor to full trimix. There's a call for 'deep air' in the market.
It also has a big place in the more tropical tech locations. I; albeit as many others, are quite happy to dive air to 50m in nice warm, great viz waters. Not so much in cold & dark environments though! I'm not saying that the narcosis isn't present, but when all other factors are perfect Extended range diving is as safe (hazrardous?!) as any other form of Technical diving.

You'd be one of the few 2K vintage divers who wouldn't be terrified of diving air. That alone is worth the price of admission. :D

Back
Top Bottom