An easy lesson learned the hard way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used Reef sticks as required in some sites but find that concept interesting. Don't touch anything but it is OK to jam a metal rod into the bottom or on a rock, coral etc:idk: I personally think steadying yourself with a well placed finger is less invasive.

It's probably not for us per se, it's for the people who were "just steadying myself and a piece broke off, I put it in my pocket just so I could ask what to do with it, but then I forgot, so I took it home".

The best policy is to touch nothing under the water. I have been with other divers who experience the buoy line cut, scrape, bit or sting on a number of occasions. Grabbing, and especially sliding one's hand on a mooring line is often no different than doing the same on fire coral, an anemone, a poisonous creature, or other hazard. Hopefully a safe diver wont do things either.
DivemasterDennis

Many dive instructors insist on their students holding on to the anchor line... :(

---------- Post added November 14th, 2013 at 06:11 PM ----------

I never dive without gloves for this reason. It is all well and good telling people not to touch but this is not always possible. Banning gloves because it encourages you to touch stuff is like banning motorbike helmets in case you ride faster.

When I was in Malta recently one of the guides came out of the water in severe discomfort because she had been stung by a jellyfish. She didn't choose to touch it - it just went into her. If she had gloves, she would not have suffered.

Exactly my point!

Every single dive i go on, a pair of gloves is ALWAYS on. Granted i dive primarily to spearfish so its mostly for sharp spine protection

In almost 15 years of diving, I've dived in many places with a no gloves rule and in each of those places, there was never a need for them.

I'd say I'm just lucky if it was maybe 2 years of diving, but almost 15 years? Sounds like a bunch of cry babies with really bad habits who can't dive without gloves in a no glove zone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom