An Idea Taken From DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShallowDiverDave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm sure many non-DIR divers take bits and pieces of DIR, and incorporate them appropriately.

I did my first dive today with the standard slung stage bottle positioning (chest-to-hip D-ring connections). I did not regret the slung as opposed to tank mount, I liked how the bottle was oriented in the water.

Incidentally, I did do something I have never read about. Because I am converging towards a solo diver, instead of leaving the stage bottle reg (really a redundant bottle for me) attached to the tank (as they do in DIR to stage bottles), I ran the hose/reg from the bottle to a necklace around my neck. I can't think of a better placement for my backup air supply. I wonder if other solo divers do anything like this???

The path to enlightenment is not the same for all . . . .

the K-rishnot

Doc Intrepid:
Probably not...

Is there an obvious problem with it? How about they put their 2nd air supply reg around their ankles instead?J/K Ya know, something constructive would be nice Doc, instead of what seems to be a snide remark.

In an OOA, I want my "buddy" (my redundant air, in this case) very close.

fndmylove:
Is there an obvious problem with it? How about they put their 2nd air supply reg around their ankles instead?J/K Ya know, something constructive would be nice Doc, instead of what seems to be a snide remark.

In an OOA, I want my "buddy" (my redundant air, in this case) very close.

I have seen a pony put on a necklace but they have been tank mounted. I think slung is a better spot than on the tank however.

jtivat:
I have seen a pony put on a necklace but they have been tank mounted. I think slung is a better spot than on the tank however.

Ah cool. Mine will stay slung for sure, I enjoyed it this way and felt it best to be in sight of the entire redundant system.

How many second stages did you have on the backgas tank? assuming you had 2,where did the backup/octo go?

Did you have the valve on the stage closed (normal) If so you still have to turn it on,Grabbing the reg after that takes very little time.

Having the stage reg necklaced sounds like an entanglement hazard and makes it very hard to drop the tank or pass it off to another diver.

ianr33:
How many second stages did you have on the backgas tank? assuming you had 2,where did the backup/octo go?

I have an AIR2. The AIR2 did not get in the way of the necklaced redundant-air-reg/hose.

ianr33:
Did you have the valve on the stage closed (normal) If so you still have to turn it on,Grabbing the reg after that takes very little time.

Yes, it was on, and always will be during a dive. I dont think solo divers should have their redundant gas turned off. This seems ridiculous to me.

ianr33:
Having the stage reg necklaced sounds like an entanglement hazard and makes it very hard to drop the tank or pass it off to another diver.

If I get tangled to something in front of my face and can't get out of it, give me a darwin award, because i'm an idiot. It doesnt hang far beneath my chest, it is a rather short hose (standard 36 ") for my height and seems to rest close to my chest.

I might pass it off to a large water creature if i get narced hardcore, but I shouldnt be passing it to any humans any time soon...<see forum title>.

Putting my sarcastic comments aside, I appreciate your post, you are asking important questions about the placement, and this is what i wanted. In case I had not thought of something. Thanks pal!

fndmylove:
I ran the hose/reg from the bottle to a necklace around my neck. I can't think of a better placement for my backup air supply. I wonder if other solo divers do anything like this???
I have tried this and I don't think I like it. The stage swings around more than a back tank and yanks on the necklace.

Where do you keep your octo? (Sorry, just read you have an Air2)

FishDiver:
I have tried this and I don't think I like it. The stage swings around more than a back tank and yanks on the necklace.

Where do you keep your octo?

Hmm, I didn't experience the yanking, but then, I felt comfortable with my left arm wrapped around the bottle, so it probably remained relatively fixed.

I have an AIR2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom