An odd critter I seen in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T.C.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'd appreciate the help in identifying this critter I seen in Roatan Honduras about 3 weeks ago. I saw it on the south side of the island at about 11:30 in the morning.
Unknown animal close up.jpg

This was a odd-looking critter I found on the bottom. When I raised my camera the first time, it swam backwards very quickly under a rock, using the same motion a crayfish would use to escape. It was about 3-5 inches long, with a reddish-brown segmented body, and very wary of me, despite a very slow approach. In the picture, the animal includes the blue eye-looking things below the yellow "eyes".

Unknown animal.jpg
Here's an example of the habitat I found the second one in. The animal can be seen in the red patch in the center.

Thanks! After a bit of research, I believe it to be (I'm not a biologist, after all) to be a Neogonodactylus curacaoensis.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthro...raca/royslist/species.php?name=n_curacaoensis

I had no idea I'd gotten to see such a cool critter.

I now go back to creepily lurking in the background...:D

Keep sharing the photos though. I've never managed to get a shot of mantis shrimp.

Really interesting YouTube clip on how they attack

Sheila Patek: Measuring the fastest animal on earth - YouTube

I would also consider comparing your critter with a Dark Mantis (Gonodactylus curacaoensis).

Mantis shrimp do pack a wallop. Mantis shrimps kept in aquariums have been known to knock the glass out of the side of the tank. There was an article in Scientific American years ago about them and how they manage to accomplish this improbable feat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom