Anacapa diving; are the sites suitable for snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi.

Are the 3 Anacapa dive sites the Peace boat usually go to, also suitable for snorkelers?

--

In the trip my wife and I were driving from San Francisco to Long Beach, before going on cruise, I was originally planning to go diving from Ventura, to Anacapa, on Aug. 27. My wife could come and snorkel. If the sites are not that good, at least I thought the last stop could be at the sea lion colony, that she can enjoy.

We will definitely go to Catalina Island on Fri. Aug. 28, so we would definitely dive/snorkel there.

Now my mother-in-law is joining us on the trip. I'm re-thinking whether my wife and her mother would enjoy snorkeling in the other Anacapa sites. On Thr. Aug. 28 it is the Peace boat (I understand it's slower than the Spectre) that goes to Anacapa, out of Ventura.

There is no dive guide, and no snorkel guide. So there is also concern of the snorkelers needing to be really careful not to "float away". So if the dive sites are not suitable for snorkelers, then either they don't come on this trip, or we all don't go.

Thanks.

Depends on the dive sites, of course. If the sites are in a cove, then the chances of snorkelers floating away is rather slim, but even then, snorkelers shouldn't be swimming too far away from the boat and the Peace has a motorized dingy for rescue anyway.

Any site on Anacapa is good for snorkeling you just have to go into the shallows close to the island. The boat usually doesn't anchor if there is any current & if one does kick up they do have the rescue boat & a current line.

John

Thanks for the responses.

It turned out Peace boat charges $90 for snorkelers. Earlier when I called it must have been about Spectre, that charges $50 for snorkelers. We've never paid $90 for snorkeling.

Also, I was told they may not go to the sea lion colony during late summer time, because the wind/waves come from the south, and the conditions are often not suitable to go to the sea lion colony.

So we won't be going on the Peace for diving/snorkeling. We'll do that in Catalina Island, and during the cruise ports stops of PV and Cabo.

Back
Top Bottom