Anatomical reason I can equalize without pinching nose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CephBirk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am able to equalize without pinching my nose (and without swallowing, turning my head, or any other means). I just do the same motion as when pinching my nose and it works. I've heard of others that can do this too.

What is going on anatomically that lets a person do this? Is there a muscle I'm using that others aren't?

The most important sentence in medicine is that there is a bell curve for everything!

The tensor veli palatini muscle (and possibly also the levator veli palatini muscle) contracts to open the Eustachian tube - the pathway that connects the middle ear to the back of the nose. While passive opening can occur from a valsalva maneuver (raising the pressure in the upper airway by pinching the nose and blowing, to force air up the ET), some people (like the OP) have conscious control over the TVP/LVP muscles. These people can open the ET to equilibrate middle ear pressure with ambient pressure without the need for nose pinching.

While you have a natural ability to do this, some divers have been able to develop this skill on their own. Here is a list of maneuvers to practice for the less gifted divers who may be reading this.

I've always been able to also. In a related thing it's pretty typical for me to drop fast 60-80' then equalize once when I feel a little "tightness". That's often the only time I do during a dive - it just doesn't bother me.

I can also often judge ascent speed by the number/volume crackles in my ears - it's useful as I film fast noving things like sharks/dolphins as they move up.down in the water column. Not without it's downside though - as I age my Tinnitus is more constant and louder - right now there's a chrous of cicadas chirping in my office.

Seems a little weird - my buddy often has to do slow ascents pinching all the way down. I wait for him at depth.

Last edited:
The most important sentence in medicine is that there is a bell curve for everything!

The tensor veli palatini muscle (and possibly also the levator veli palatini muscle) contracts to open the Eustachian tube - the pathway that connects the middle ear to the back of the nose. While passive opening can occur from a valsalva maneuver (raising the pressure in the upper airway by pinching the nose and blowing, to force air up the ET), some people (like the OP) have conscious control over the TVP/LVP muscles. These people can open the ET to equilibrate middle ear pressure with ambient pressure without the need for nose pinching.

While you have a natural ability to do this, some divers have been able to develop this skill on their own. Here is a list of maneuvers to practice for the less gifted divers who may be reading this.

Thanks! This is great info!

I can do it too. 99% of people could do it if they understand what it is and that they probably do it all the time on dry land. It’s the same thing you do to make your ears equalize or “pop” as you are driving up to altitude. Most people don’t even realize they are doing it. In diving the pressure change is just in reverse but same muscles are used.

+1. The flip side is you get used to it and then a block comes as complete surprise, it takes a few FTW moments before you remember what that is.

Some days I got it, same days I don't. If I don't got it, then by going slower I get it done.
But that is pretty much true for everything at 72.

Back
Top Bottom