And so it begins. Panic in the California dive boat industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolitely there is a large gray area. It says a roving watch will be assigned at all times not that the watch will be roving at all times.. Its only my interpretation but a ships roving patrol watch ( not space specific) is an area assignment to include the entire ship as opposed to being alarm room watch. A roving watch would be responsible for monitoring each accessable space physically and not remotely. That could be each hour for spaces occupied and every 2 hours where equipment is in operation and every 3 hours for unoccupied spaces and draft readings every 6 hours when changes are not expected or if expected every 30 minutes. I would also expect to have a log book of some sorts to document the checkpoint results and times.
the "all times" means, roving at all times. saying a 'roving watch" is saying the watch will be roving at all times.

the "all times" means, roving at all times. saying a 'roving watch" is saying the watch will be roving at all times.
All of the times I stood Rover, it was 4 hours of roving, including taking logs in all of the out of the way places, like the shaft alleys (looking for packing leaks), and the Auxiliary rooms (looking for fires or sailors smoking dope), basically everywhere except the reactor compartment.

Any Sailor knows what a rover is. Most civilians don't understand. The rover never stops moving, and underway, he's called the Messenger of the watch.

Was this the morning of the trip when they do the roll call before leaving, or the night before you sleep over?

Bob

The boats left in the middle of the night to get to the outer islands so we were greeted and briefed as we boarded that evening

The boats left in the middle of the night to get to the outer islands so we were greeted and briefed as we boarded that evening

I've had that experience as well. For the inner islands, I did way more of those, they did the breifing in the morning. After the briefing, you could get back in your bunk or could enjoy the ride out on deck, which was my preference.

Bob

Not trying to be argumentative, lawyers love those who speak in absolutes;

Lawyer, Mr Richardson, you state a roving watch must be roving, moving at all times during their watch?

You, yes.

L (lawyer) without exception?

Y, yes.

L, so if for instance, the roving watch enters the engine room and observers a fuel line has started leaking and is spraying fuel onto the exhaust manifold of the on line generator the roving watch must continue roving?

Y, of course not, he must take immediate action to correct the hazard.

L, while continuing to rove?

Y, no he must at the very least secure the generator and inform the appropriate person who can effect repair.

L, so roving does or does not mean continuous “roving” on a designated route?

Etc...

Not trying to be argumentative, lawyers love those who speak in absolutes;

Lawyer, Mr Richardson, you state a roving watch must be roving, moving at all times during their watch?

You, yes.

L (lawyer) without exception?

Y, yes.

L, so if for instance, the roving watch enters the engine room and observers a fuel line has started leaking and is spraying fuel onto the exhaust manifold of the on line generator the roving watch must continue roving?

L, while continuing to rove?

Y, no he must at the very least secure the generator and inform the appropriate person who can effect repair.

L, so roving does or does not mean continuous “roving” on a designated route?

Etc...
while lawyers are that stupid, judges and juries generally aren't.

while lawyers are that stupid, judges and juries generally aren't.
Unlikely but this is how it unfolds most of the time, Ken called it a few posts back, the term has little meaning and once something tragic the vagueness is used to “prove” that whatever the captain took it to mean, continuous roving, seen every 15 minutes or whatever I’ll be declared inadequate regardless, even though the next week an event will occur that is 180° out from this one and the opposite meaning will be applied just as fervently. Ultimately people just want someone to blame.

In actuality, his job at that point is to raise the alarm. If the alarm is not raised first, the watch could be incapicated and the boat could be engulphed with fire before anyone else would know. Basic Watchstanding 101.

Bob

In actuality, his job at that point is to raise the alarm. If the alarm is not raised first, the watch could be incapicated and the boat could be engulphed with fire before anyone else would know. Basic Watchstanding 101.

Bob
Yes but I would expect him/her to hit the kill switch before leaving to sound the alarm, assuming no radio on a smaller ship.

Back
Top Bottom