...and there goes the hair!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poolstok

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, my wife and i are quite new to the sport - each have naui open water, 10 ocean dives, plus 2 fresh water quarry dives.

Last session, my wife's hair- below shoulder length at the time, got strangled in her mask due to repeated masking and removal... - and ya, she got one of those thingies.... N E Way, she went from long haired brunette to bobbed hair brunette, including attempting to sleep with a plastic bag over her head - just so the olive oil (which will cure the knotting problem - apparently) won't rub off onto the linen..... NO! - pulled the line there!.

I find this 'unfortunate diving accident' quite amusing!

but my Q is..... how to handle this from now on?

Ta!

Pools

A neoprene hood should do the trick. They are also extremely helpful in keeping warm. If she is diving in very warm water and doesn't need the extra warmth then a 1mm neoprene or lycra hood will still help keep her hair in place.

isthoodedvest.jpg

we were actually considering a hood! The misses gets cold quite quick, so it would server a double purpose then.... Was opting for that, but just wanted to see if any other options are available....

To bed now!

ciao!

Pools

My wife carries a small bottle of diluted cream rinse in her dive bag. When she gets back on the boat she uses it to get the knots out. It also seems to reduce the overall damage from salt & UV. As for myself, I used to have fairly long hair, but now I find that diving may be the only activity where going bald is an advantage.

My daughter- long silky blond hair to her waist...
She braides her hair for diving and then just wears a bandana/skully....
She never has problems and looks cool...

Also, get a slap strap for her mask. They are fabric and now attach without velco to the mask. Scubatoys......
Much easier and cute too.

but now I find that diving may be the only activity where going bald is an advantage.

I don't know about that! We used to have a guy who dove out of our group who was bald and he always got his head cut up! He was kind of nuts though!

I have very thick but short hair and last week I bumped an urchin with my head. I could feel spines breaking off in my hair but received no injury.

In addition, your hair provides quite a bit of warmth. Had a guy at work who shaved his head who said he liked it but he froze when in air conditioning because of it!:D

I use the regular old silicone mask strap (make sure it's not silitex, they stick) under my polartec Sharkskin hood. No problems.

The absolute best in hair care product to protect against sun, salt and chlorine is Conditioning Balm by Biolage. My hair is currently just below my shoulders, extremely thick and extremely fine - I use about a nickel to quarter sized dollop before a dive on wet or dry hair. It will last me for two dives, hood on and off, wind blown on the boat. Get back to shore and either comb it as is or a little fresh water rinse and most of the tangles just fall out on their own and I'm good to go. This stuff is the best, hands down, of the zillion or so I've tried over the past 13 years.

I also have a little travel sized spritzer bottle. I put in one pump from the container and fill the rest with water - I usually refill the bottle when it's half way or so without adding more balm. Great for those days you have forgotten to do it ahead of time or those days when you are going straight from the boat to dinner or the pub. A couple spritzes, comb, done.

My hair is down to my waistline. I just pull it back with several hair ties. I use a hood most of the time, but without a hood my hair can get a little knarly at the top of the ties. I just wait til I shower and use conditioner then. My mask has a thick pad and all the strap adjustment is in the back, this way my hair near the front is not getting snagged in the mechanisims.

Why am I the only guy talking about long hair?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom