And they say blondes are dumb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Intrepid:
Try Triptone, it works great for me. One tab the night before when you go to bed. A second tab when you wake up. If the boat doesn't leave the dock 'til later for some reason, a third when you get on the boat.

Is Triptone only available by prescription, or is it over the counter? I have finally realized that I should take something prior to my recent boat dives on the ocean, I just kind of hated to take meds that make me drowsy later. My son in law recommends taking ginger prior, so I did, and ate gingersnaps too. Most of my diving is in fresh water inland lakes, no rocking action to deal with, or get used to.

We have some meds called Meclizina (in Spanish :wink: ), or Bonadoxina that we got at a pharmacy in Cozumel after missing out on a couple dives due to seasickness. I think it's called Mezacline in the U.S. But it did make me drowsy later. I guess that's lots better than getting sick and not being able to dive at all. I never actually chummed for fish last week in Florida, but spent some moments of misery both before and during my second dive. It was worth the effort, to dive, however. There were still several moments of glory :wink:

Foo

Foo:
Is Triptone only available by prescription, or is it over the counter? I have finally realized that I should take something prior to my recent boat dives on the ocean, I just kind of hated to take meds that make me drowsy later.

Foo

Hi Foo- you can buy Triptone over the counter.. If you can't find it in local shops, you can get it here: http://store.darisimall.com/139212.html Hope it works for you... I've about given up on over the counter stuff- guess it's time to visit the doc about the scopoline (sp?) patch....
~M

I was told Bonine was better than Triptone for divers. So, I take the Bonine and it works fine. If I know conditions might be rough, I will take one the night before, then the morning of the dive. I have noticed however taking the two will knock me out after the dive.

PeroneFord, some of us don't mind taking newbies out. If asked with honesty, we can make that decision to say yes or no when buddying up. I really get peeved when somebody claims they have x dives, and have dived x deep, and used x air, then find out they stretched the truth just a little bit too much- after I have buddied with them. Those folks, besides lying to me, are the same ones that if you try to give advice or helpful hints totally ignore ya.

Case in point. I beach dive here quite regularly, and have been diving these beaches for over 10 years, (yet am open to new ideas and strategies). So a newbie beach diver shows up and needs a buddy. I end up being your buddy. If after talking to you, I were to tell you that you need to add 2# for the conditions, and you decide that you have enough weight, and I again ask you to add 2# and you don't, what are the chances that you may be too light? I see this all the time. Often if you don't add the weight, I will bring along an extra 2# just to hand off to you during the dive. What is the problem here? You want to dive with somebody with experience, but when they tell you to do X, you just ignore them? AARRGGGHHHH (not you personally Perone, you haven't peeved me yet :wink: )

Another time my dive buddies and I discuss our dive plan. Neither buddy has dived this particular dive before. I have dived this spot many, many, many times in a wide range of conditions. The plan was to swim past the first reef, go over sand for about 4 minutes then hit the second reef. We get out over the sand, the vis isn't great, buddy #1 surfaces, looks how far we are away from shore, panics and heads back to shore like a freight train, leaving myself and buddy #2 to sort things out. His response? He thought conditions would change and didn't want to get caught that far out, besides he knew I could take care of myself. !!!!!WHAT????!!!! He is scared of changing conditions (blue sky, gentle breeze, decent conditions) yet is willing to leave me and buddy #2 to fend for ourselves????

Moral of story? Be honest with yourself and your buddy on your experience. And LISTEN TO THOSE THAT KNOW MORE.

MissyP:
guess it's time to visit the doc about the scopoline (sp?) patch....
~M
I prefer scopolomine in tablet form (goes under the name Scopace). I think it's more effective and costs much less than the patch. It also gives you a lower dosage.

By the way, this is what used to be in Triptone years ago.

Christian

headhunter:
I prefer scopolomine in tablet form (goes under the name Scopace). I think it's more effective and costs much less than the patch. It also gives you a lower dosage.

By the way, this is what used to be in Triptone years ago.

Christian

So would you consider Triptone to be any better than Dramamine & Bonine? I've tried both kinds (taking one the night prior, and one an hour prior to the boat) and neither have worked at ALL!!!
As far as Scopace, heh, I don't care what dosage it is as long as I don't get seasick! :wacko:

I was wearing a Scop patch in Jan. when both my husband and I got extremely seasick on the ferry between Playa & Cozumel. After many hours, and the Mezacline that we got at the pharmacy, we were able to make the trip back to Playa without further sickness incidents. That is the first time that the patch has failed me, but I don't trust it along anymore! Thanks for all the advice folks, I really appreciate it.
Foo

MissyP:
So would you consider Triptone to be any better than Dramamine & Bonine? I've tried both kinds (taking one the night prior, and one an hour prior to the boat) and neither have worked at ALL!!!
As far as Scopace, heh, I don't care what dosage it is as long as I don't get seasick! :wacko:
I think that Triptone is no better than anything else now. I used to use it all the time when it was scopolomine and it was great. Then they had to change it because of scopolomine became more heavily regulated.

Heavier dosages of scopolomine have a tendency to cause drowsiness or make you thirsty. That's why I prefer the tablets.

Here is some more info on the differences:

http://www.scopace.com/

I'm really prone to motion sickness and this stuff works really well.

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom