And what about the G7X ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody know if the Inon s100 zm80 Wide Angle lens will be compatible in this way? Would be very interesting to see it tested. I suppose it would depend on the port length and the distance of the G7x lens to the port zoomed to 80mm focal length

Would think no as otherwise nauticam would have suggested it
They usually test pretty much everything and did suggest this lens on the G series

I've been trying to decide between the G7X and the Sony RX100ii, and from everything I've read it sounds like the G7X is the way to go. I tend to shoot 50% video and 50% close up photo, some macro. I do not like to use add on lenses, but want to get as close as possible, and it sounds like the G7X will get me closer than the RX100ii. Anyone agree or disagree?

Also, in regards to housings, since I'm not interested in add-on lenses, and the smaller the better, does anyone think the coming-soon Fantasea housing might be as good as the polycarb Recsea housing? From what I have seen the Fantasea will at least have the buttons labeled, and the Recsea does not. I hate guessing what button is what underwater. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

The G7X battery autonomy is poor if you really want to buy it nauticam housing with valve is a must as for video it won't last more than one dive. And without add on lenses would you not be better off getting something like a go pro?

Well, I think I've decided. I'm sticking with Canon, but going G16. I got pretty darn good macro with my G15 in the past. Camera and Fantasea housing goes for $834 package. Slightly larger, but no guesswork on what to expect.

Isn't the G16 considered one of the best macro compacts out there? I too would be curious about a G16 vs G7X

Isn't the G16 considered one of the best macro compacts out there? I too would be curious about a G16 vs G7X

He said 50% close up and 50% video with some macro
On this basis the G16 is not a good choice any camera can do close ups really not many do decent video the G16 does good close/macro stills but video is average and had no solution for ambient light wide angle though you may argue the fantasies big eye does achieve something

There is an article by Jim Decker from Backscatter in the latest UWP magazine comparing the g7x with the Sony Rx100 iii.
He praises the canon's close focusing abilities and white balance, in contrast to the Sony's more ideal Wideangle suitability and higher bitrate for video. Interestingly he seems to come down in favour of the G7x in the video department in virtue of its white balance performance, even considering the more modest bitrate and necessity for a dedicated wideangle port. There's a controversial claim for this forum!
[on (p.35 issue 83) the magazine is free by email sign up.]

Jim decker may be a good guy but a camera with only 210 cipa rating will run out of battery for video in one dive. Shops have the interest to push new products. Also he goes for the RX100 mark III and Xavc 50 Mbps that is nothing special. I have yet to see a single good video of the mark III. So no surprise a shop tells you to buy a new product

True enough, and UWP does certainly have a lot of advertising throughout it but it's an interesting question of what's more important - accurate colour rendition or additional information/bitrate for a good video file. Also I'm not sure, does the Sony last a full two dives for shooting video? I imagine that a camera that last only one dive for video, and one that lasts for 1.5 are still likely to prompt the user to get in the habit of a careful battery change between dives, and invest in a vacuum leak detector, in order to maximise their cameras video functionality.

---------- Post added March 5th, 2015 at 10:44 PM ----------

Deepshots has a good article demonstrating the g7x with different housings and wideangle lens/port combinations. They test the inon s100 zm80 with the standard ports too which is useful to see but only at f/5.6 which is a shame because I find that with my g15+fantasea+zm80+dome unit the decent corner to corner picture quality is at the narrowest apertures of f/6.3 to f/8

CANON G7X LENS TESTS: RECSEA AND NAUTICAM SIDE BY SIDE | Deepshots

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom