ANDI Gets EUF certification!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

padiscubapro

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
On Nov 6,2005 ANDI passed its Audit and is now one of ONLY THREE international agencies (and 5 total) that have sucessfully have had their programs accepted by the EU.. What this means is that ANDI programs will be one of the few programs that can be legally taught in the EU..

For more information watch WWW.ANDIHQ.com and

look for the official acknowledgement shortly @ http://www.euf-certification.org

padiscubapro:
On Nov 6,2005 ANDI passed its Audit and is now one of ONLY THREE international agencies (and 5 total) that have sucessfully have had their programs accepted by the EU.. What this means is that ANDI programs will be one of the few programs that can be legally taught in the EU..

For more information watch WWW.ANDIHQ.com and

look for the official acknowledgement shortly @ http://www.euf-certification.org
I think that you get this EUF thing totaly wrong. There's no link between "can be legally taught in the EU" and EUF. Each EU member has it's own laws and those laws are more or less compatible (depending on subject they treat). Regarding diving each country has it's own list of agencies that are allowed to teach and which certificates are recognized as valid.

MonkSeal:
I think that you get this EUF thing totaly wrong. There's no link between "can be legally taught in the EU" and EUF. Each EU member has it's own laws and those laws are more or less compatible (depending on subject they treat). Regarding diving each country has it's own list of agencies that are allowed to teach and which certificates are recognized as valid.

Not true.. the EU agreement requires that all countries follow the same set of regulations that are adopted by the EU (if regulations exist).. Its already officially law, although its not being enforced yet in most countires.. Each country has its own enforcement date..

If it wasn't necessary ANDI would not have spent the time and money (both were considerable) to get everything in order.. I know come January 1st, only EUF certified programs can be legally taught in Greece.. This is a big deal here since they finally can legally do diving (before this diving was illegal, but not enforced due to the possible unconstitutionality of the old law baring diving).

I don't know all the dates offhand since its not my part of the world.. But The people involved in the certification have been working with the individuals in each country to meet their needs.. The way we did it was to certify the program by a HQ in english so that we could umbrella all the other countries in as well (translations of materials are covered).. If we did it in Greece using greek materials, it would have only been a certification locally for Greece..

There are some other countries (I dont remeber offhand) that will be requireing adherance to the standards shortly as well.. About the only country I know of that it really seem like they dont Care about the EU standards is the UK... Even the French are taking it seriously..

AT the moment only RECREATIONAL diving has standards, none has been adopted for technical programs so thats still up to the individual countries to set the standards..

The only Internalional Agencies that Have gone through the review are PADI, SSI and now ANDI..

The local certifications are
Barakuda and VDST

padiscubapro:
Its already officially law, although its not being enforced yet in most countires.. Each country has its own enforcement date..
Which can be so far in the future that maybe I'll be too old for diving :D Your example of UK is OK - they have the sam policy for currency and may other Europian laws. And UK is not the only EU member that acts like that. I wouldn't hurry with spending money on such certificates even in Greece case because most income from diving will come from foreign tourists rather than from Greek divers. And foreign tourists will mostly come with their certificates rather than beeing certified in Greece.

Regarding the Euoropian laws in general, laws are sometimes brought by people who don't understand what's going on in subject that they treat. As an example: there's a proposition of law that whould enforce usage of specialized nitrox regulators with different thread as atempt for precluding usage of wrong mix.

Last but not least, laws are subject of change - especially in Europe.

MonkSeal:
Regarding the Euoropian laws in general, laws are sometimes brought by people who don't understand what's going on in subject that they treat. As an example: there's a proposition of law that whould enforce usage of specialized nitrox regulators with different thread as atempt for precluding usage of wrong mix.

This is one law that IS being taken seriously.. There was a proposed date for full conformaty.. I dont remember the date offhand but if memory serves me its another year or two.. Even the brits are taking this one seriously...

From Talking with some of the people in the know, some countries are handling the EUF regs a bit differently.. There will be 2 set of regs in some cases, regs that locals must meet that are generally more restrictive than the EUF regs, but for non locals they will require adhesion (and recognize as required) EU norm standards.

The regs ( EU standards) allow independent governing of their own peoples but require acceptance of agreed upon standards.

MonkSeal:
I wouldn't hurry with spending money on such certificates even in Greece case because most income from diving will come from foreign tourists rather than from Greek divers. And foreign tourists will mostly come with their certificates rather than beeing certified in Greece.

Not entirely true.. Its really going to come down to how far the local shops are willing to test the regs and how anal enforcement is going to be.. By the way things were worded it appears that the divers comming in MAY be required to have been certified under an approved program.. We will all have to wait to see how that turns out..

padiscubapro:
By the way things were worded it appears that the divers comming in MAY be required to have been certified under an approved program..
I really can't believe that they will do this because this will only cut their income. However, laws can be stupid and, as I wrote in previous post, laws are sometimes brought by people who don't understand what's going on.

Few years ago a stupid law about diving was brought in Croatia. Basicaly, it enforces diving with diving centers. If you dive on your own you have to purchase one year license for $400. If you dive with diving center you have to purchase one year license for $16. The reason they gave when bringing this law was "increasing safety". The result of this law is less foreign divers and less diving for local divers. The reason for local divers is obvious: diving for local divers is more expensive because they have to pay to diving center for each dive, even they don't need their assistance. The reason for foreign divers is that people don't like blackmails - even before this law vast majority of foreign divers have been diving with diving centers but they had an option to dive on their own. And I don't need to say that this law has no impact on safety at all. The number of diving incidents is as same as it was before.

padiscubapro:
. I know come January 1st, only EUF certified programs can be legally taught in Greece.. This is a big deal here since they finally can legally do diving (before this diving was illegal, but not enforced due to the possible unconstitutionality of the old law baring diving).

This is not totally correct. If an organisation wishes to be certified in Greece, they have to follow some rules. One rule is that they must be either EUF certified or the can apply for Greek Certification, i.e. submit the training manuals which demonstrate that the organisation fulfils the Greek Training Standards which are the same with the EU standards. For example, IANTD is not EUF certified, but IANTD Greece can apply for certification in Greece individually.

MonkSeal:
And UK is not the only EU member that acts like that. I wouldn't hurry with spending money on such certificates even in Greece case because most income from diving will come from foreign tourists rather than from Greek divers. And foreign tourists will mostly come with their certificates rather than beeing certified in Greece.

A lot of certificates are issued at holiday destinations, see Malta, Red Sea for example. Previously there was no law regarding diving in Greece. Now there is one and it states that if you are not certified by an authorised (in Greece) organisation, you can only dive if through a diving center. I believe other European countries will follow, so that there will be some standards in recreational diving.

thanos_gr:
A lot of certificates are issued at holiday destinations, see Malta, Red Sea for example.
Probably, but it's hard to tell which category will bring more money.

thanos_gr:
Now there is one and it states that if you are not certified by an authorised (in Greece) organisation, you can only dive if through a diving center.
We have law with similar level of stupidity, so I'm not suprised. I can agree that organizations must be recognized by law but the certification path must be simple.

thanos_gr:
I believe other European countries will follow
I hope not.

thanos_gr:
so that there will be some standards in recreational diving.
Standards already exist and I see no need for introducing another body that will enforce it. It seems that this is Europian desease - bureaucracy.

thanos_gr:
This is not totally correct. If an organisation wishes to be certified in Greece, they have to follow some rules. One rule is that they must be either EUF certified or the can apply for Greek Certification, i.e. submit the training manuals which demonstrate that the organisation fulfils the Greek Training Standards which are the same with the EU standards. For example, IANTD is not EUF certified, but IANTD Greece can apply for certification in Greece individually.

Thanos, how can the manuals fufil the Greek training standards if the Greek federation doesn't have any manuals that meet the EUF specs? As far as I know the Greek federation has not been recognized by the EUF!! Sorry M8 but a lot of people have been hearing the wrong stories........ Another thing that the new law will cause, when it comes into force is an incredible amount of new diveshops and schools, which hopefully will bolster the economic situation in this beautiful, but otherwise poor country.......Now when will all this happen?? God alone knows. I've been here for the better part of 25 yrs (On and off) and up til now nothing has changed.......We will just have to wait and see......

Here is a copy of the Government press release concerning this subject.........
PRESS RELEASE
RECREATIONAL DIVING BILL
The new bill prepared by the Ministry of Mercantile Marine regarding recreational diving in Greece, is the outcome of the Hellenic Government’s Strategic Plan for positioning Greece prominently into the world’s scuba diving industry, and in addition for boosting the country’s alternative tourism.
The new diving law is fully in accord with the EU Standards regarding recreational diving, which have actually been in force since early 2004. Moreover the unreasonable restrictions imposed in the past by archeologists are now being successfully modified and the concept of Diving Parks has been firmly established. Notably, the legislative framework provides adequate environment protection, ensures the appropriate respect for the underwater precious antiquities, as well as the safety and adequate professional skills of the divers, who will enjoy clear waters, plus unique marine life and other hitherto unutilised underwater attractions.
An accreditation system consonant to EU directives is being established for the Scuba Divers’ Training Programs, for the appropriate certification of various Diver Training Organizations, as well as for the Diving Services Providers. The Diving Services are classified according to their type, they are certified on an individual basis by an accredited products certification agency and each of them will be licensed by the competent Port Authority. There are now clear requirements as specified by law, to the effect that only those holding the necessary license will be able to provide Diving Services.
Moreover, the modus operandi for the Diving Industry is now clearly prescribed, appropriate records will be maintained at the Ministry of Mercantile Marine, and violators of the existing rules will be subject to severe penalties.
The Republic of Greece has several advantages as a holiday destination for divers: safety as a EU member, short flight distances for European travellers, excellent climate and long diving season, same currency with many other EU countries, and other amenities.
The multitude of active European and American divers, as well as those aspiring newcomers who wish to experience the magic undersea world and receive competent training in scuba diving, will find themselves welcomed in the best possible environment for pursuing their exciting hobby.
Finally, the renewed availability of our Nation’s magnificent undersea world to the Diving Industry, necessitates its strict adherence to services of the highest possible quality, for the pleasure of our visitors and the prosperity of our society as well.

ALSO this might interest you........

http://www.divemagazine.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2492&v=2&sp=332686698295332161546

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom