Andrea Doria dive, summer 2002

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How deteriorated was the wreck when you were out there? I have heard that several decks have collapsed. Do you still think it is worth the money?

Great pictures... I put them together in a single thread for you... should you desire to post more just add them in a reply to this thread rather than starting a new thread for each picture.

BTW.... I am surprised by the viz and how light it is there! There are times that we don't have that much light at 70'.

Hello,
Thank you for the help with the board.
The AD is more and more rusted and collapsing!
More fishing lines and nets and lots of cables, and stuff all over.
It's still a great dive (for the experienced tek diver) but a bit expensive, mainly because of the distance. I have been on the AD 4 times, and said goodbye to it (for now) last summer! It's time for something else. It gets old. Some people go back every year, but to me it just gets to be boring after the last 4 times there. I have retrieved some plates and nic-nacs, spoons and that's about it.
I'm going to be diving an old wreck in Portugal and the U853 (uboat) off the RI coast this summer. The wreck in Portugal is at about 200 feet, and the uboat is only at 120 feet, but still makes for a great dive, lots of artifacts and bones, etc. A good wreck dive doesn't have to be a very deep one. My max depth is 305 feet on trimix, but lately I have been having lots of fun on shallower dives like 120 ft, 100ft, 160ft and so.
You can see more about my adventures at www.peterferreira.com
Peter

Hi, pferreira.
Could you tell me more about that wreck in Portugal, please?
Thanks

Hello Redshift,
I would respond to you in Portuguese but let’s do it in English for everyone!
We are diving in 2 locations. The most exciting one is going to be done in an unnamed galleon/big schooner that we discovered last year while drift diving off the coast of Algarve (south of Portugal).
We found the remains of a big vessel, cannons and more.
I can't really tell you much about its location because we are 99.9% sure it is a virgin wreck. The name and origin of this vessel is still unknown to us at this time.

Have you contacted the authorities ou even CNANS (Centro Nacional de Arqueologia Nautica e Subaquatica)? You'll be rewarded for your findings. Oh, and it's illegal not to declare it :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom