Andrea Doria Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Response to the 2004 list of opinions on death:

I spoke to the divers who were with Vince Napoliello when he died less then 24 hours after. Something was wrong. He grabbed his buddies regulator and they both agreed to go up. He tried his again and it was working. They left together. Then his buddy watched as he swam past the ascent line into the darkness. There was no panic. There was a confirmed problem. Obvious disorientation. My brother Vince was a Veteran of the Doria and was diving with a novice on his first Doria dive. After an episode with at a minimum confusion/disorientation at depth with a planned abort and ascent, the buddy system either works or it doesn't. He exhibited classic signs of either N2 or O2 toxicity, and although we will never no all the facts what is known is that his only safety net failed.
David A. Napoliello, M.D. F.A.C.S.

Last edited:
I think it would be fantastic if their were to be another book on the Doria put out. its long been my goal to Dive this this ship ...no matter what condition it's in.

I had spoke with a fellow on the board about an on line presentation. I think it would be neat'ern beans if people like Evelyn Dudas, Dan Crowell, Steve Bielenda and the like opened a forum to speak and answer questions or maby just tell their favorite story.

This could also work with other great wreck's as well. I think the wreck forum is great, but I also think it would be fun to have a special forum about wreck's that many divers only dream about...like the Doria.

And my hat goes out to any Diver who has gone their, were ever their may be!

Last edited:
Doria is still rich in booty, they just got the bridge bell recently. Lack of preparation means death. An alternative in New England is the U-853 german submarine nestled in 130ft. great dive, usally good viz, very historic, not a bad boat ride. can be technically demanding to penetrate, subs are very confined. good training ground.

David,
Sorry for the loss of your brother Vince. I too lost mine, 1992, and it still hurts. I also lost a friend on the Doria which forever canceled my plans to dive it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom