Anemones at Wetherill are coming back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man,,I hate to see you work so hard bro. Tell you what, next time, just toss a bunch of bugs in the bed. THAT will show me!

woops double post

dbg40:
Man,,I hate to see you work so hard bro. Tell you what, next time, just toss a bunch of bugs in the bed. THAT will show me!

ok i can do that...... [translation] sneak outa water. empty contents of bug bag ( half dozen shorts) into bed of said truck.....
"hey Mr DEM guy. look at this crap..there are a bunchof shorts in that truck. the one with the CT plates...... put my tax dollars to work...

then sit back and enjoy the show :popcorn:

Here is an Article describing a die off from changes in salinity. They are delicate and any inbalance could have casued the die off.

Nice to hear about the return as we did note tiny colonies reappearing at the end of spring and Chris your post reconfirms this reappearance. Salinity, water temps, bacteria, virus, new predetor, or out competition by another strain of anemone that has a short life span (unlikely as its only proven in lab conditions).

Nature News
Stench of marine life death forces suspension of tours

Mar 25, 2007, 7:49 GMT

Singapore - Tours to a popular nature enclave in Singapore have been suspended because of the stench of dead marine flora and fauna, The Sunday Times reported.

Record heavy rains in December last year and January this year led to an influx of freshwater into the Johor River in Malaysia, the National Parks Board said.

The freshwater flowing into the Johor Straits significantly altered the salinity of the water around Chek Jawa.

There was 'widespread death' of marine flora and fauna that were not able to adjust quickly to the changes, according the the park board's website.

Sea anemones, starfish and sponges were hard hit, Teo said.

The tours have been suspended until the wetlands on Singapore shores recover.

May Teo, a guide at Chek Jawa, told the newspapers first-time visitors expecting to see a 'beautiful and colourful' site on a recent tour were greeted instead by the stench of death.

'All the carpet anemones were gone and the sea star were all melted or in pieces,' she was quoted as saying.

Suspending the tours will also prevent visitors from further damaging the area by stepping on the marine creatures, Teo noted.

Work on a visitor centre, viewing tower and boardwalk is expected to be completed next month. The amenities will not be open to the public until the tours are resumed.

ScubaSarus:
Here is an Article describing a die off from changes in salinity. They are delicate and any inbalance could have casued the die off.

Nice to hear about the return as we did note tiny colonies reappearing at the end of spring and Chris your post reconfirms this reappearance. Salinity, water temps, bacteria, virus, new predetor, or out competition by another strain of anemone that has a short life span (unlikely as its only proven in lab conditions).

Nature News
Stench of marine life death forces suspension of tours

Mar 25, 2007, 7:49 GMT

Singapore - Tours to a popular nature enclave in Singapore have been suspended because of the stench of dead marine flora and fauna, The Sunday Times reported.

Record heavy rains in December last year and January this year led to an influx of freshwater into the Johor River in Malaysia, the National Parks Board said.

The freshwater flowing into the Johor Straits significantly altered the salinity of the water around Chek Jawa.

There was 'widespread death' of marine flora and fauna that were not able to adjust quickly to the changes, according the the park board's website.

Sea anemones, starfish and sponges were hard hit, Teo said.

The tours have been suspended until the wetlands on Singapore shores recover.

May Teo, a guide at Chek Jawa, told the newspapers first-time visitors expecting to see a 'beautiful and colourful' site on a recent tour were greeted instead by the stench of death.

'All the carpet anemones were gone and the sea star were all melted or in pieces,' she was quoted as saying.

Suspending the tours will also prevent visitors from further damaging the area by stepping on the marine creatures, Teo noted.

Work on a visitor centre, viewing tower and boardwalk is expected to be completed next month. The amenities will not be open to the public until the tours are resumed.
Hey RZ now your geting back on topic here

I take my anemones and stuff quite serious.

In remembrance of the anenomes:

I remember one one night dive we brought a good camera around the island off Wetherill to photo graph the anemones at nignt. Out of thousands that were blooming a week earlier every darn one was shut. "Closed for the night." Not to mention the vis was awsome for once. Nothing like going down that wall at night with bright lights though. One of my favorite dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom