Anilao Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetPup

Weedy Sea Dragon
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So this is a post-Typhoon Nina trip report for my trip to Anilao. Typhoon Nina directly hit the Batangas area on December 25/26 – I arrived on December 27th (was supposed to arrive on the 26th) after having spent the previous 10 days in Malapascua (trip report for that here).

Flights
I flew on Philippine Airlines from Cebu back to Manila after my visit to Malapascua for another week or so at Anilao. Had a 30kg baggage allowance the entire trip because my domestic flights were on the same ticket as my international flights and the international baggage allowance carried through.

This was somewhat chaotic as I was scheduled to fly in the middle of the typhoon. My 10.30am flight became a 12.20pm flight, then a 2.30pm flight, then a 5pm flight…We boarded at 5.15pm, then sat on the plane (full of agitated kids and babies) on the tarmac until 7.30pm in Cebu waiting for takeoff clearance for Manila. We got to Manila around 8.30pm, then sat on the tarmac until just after 11.30pm waiting for a gate so we could get off the plane (did I mention the number of irritable kids and babies on board? Including the two 9-10 year old kids in the row behind me chanting “we want out!” non-stop for 2 hours). Luggage then took another hour. Then I had to get to Anilao…In the end the driver picked me up at the airport and the resort had arranged a hotel for me in Batangas somewhere for the night. Got picked up at 10am and driven to the resort. In the end, the travel delays meant I only missed 2 dives – it could have been worse. I’d been in constant communication with the resort on my phone the entire time, so they knew what was going on and had made all the arrangements with the transfer driver and the hotel in Batangas.

My flight home was a red eye that left Manila at 11pm, so I didn’t have to leave Anilao until 4pm. We departed late and I missed my domestic connection back in Australia, but I just jumped on the next flight, so it wasn't really a huge hassle (frequent flyer status helps sometimes).

Resort
I took the advice of others for this part of my Philippines trip – was told to either stay at Crystal Blue or Buceo Anilao. I went with Buceo Anilao due to availability. As mentioned above, the Batangas region got hit pretty badly by the typhoon, so this did affect resort operations a little bit. Their power was knocked out, however they did have backup generators – which they basically ran from about lunchtime and overnight (giving them a rest in the morning when we were all out diving) for the first 4-5 days I was there, after which it was back to regular 24/7 supply. This wasn’t a problem, even with charging all the gadgets I own – and they communicated the situation very clearly so there were no misunderstandings and we could prepare to charge gadgets accordingly. Wifi was obviously at the whim of the electricity supply, as was the airconditioning. But again, it was working when we primarily wanted it to work – at night after we’d finished diving. Otherwise, the rooms were nice and comfortable. Plenty of hot water, plenty of powerpoints, comfortable beds…

For the benefit of the person who asked, the camera room is well equipped. Air guns at every station, heaps of power outlets (they’re all 2 prong outlets throughout the resort, so if your chargers have 3 prongs you need to bring an adapter), it’s well lit, and there’s cupboard space underneath the benches for you to store stuff (the cupboards have a latch which you can attach a small padlock to (bring your own) if you want to lock it). Definitely one of the more well equipped and designed camera rooms I’ve seen anywhere.

325143-52da6d91bf023fe8a0d96f95951a97c8.jpg
325145-ea97b61486dd978ce1a56ba20b45e835.jpg

Food was ok, a bit generic though (burgers, pasta, adobo) – same as everywhere else I’d eaten in the Philippines on this trip to be honest. There’s a few veg*n things on the menu. Breakfast was included in the price and lunch and dinner were a la carte. There isn’t really anywhere else close by to go eat out though, so you’ll more or less be eating at the resort for every meal. Good thing I like lumpia I guess?

Diving
The diving was also predictably affected by the typhoon. The sunset mandarin fish dives were suspended temporarily, as the dive site they used for it was shallow and was heavily smashed. Towards the end of my stay, they agreed to take me to go for a dive there because they knew I wanted to go – with the warning that it may not be any good anymore. In effect, I was the resort’s guinea pig for checking the mandarin fish dive site post-typhoon – they’re still there, if not a bit more skittish than one might expect. A number of other dive sites were off the cards for similar typhoon related damage reasons (like the freighter ship that ran aground right around the corner and landed on top of a dive site…oops).

Anyway, physical damage to the dive sites aside, the diving was pretty good considering the circumstances. I came to Anilao after having spent most of my muck diving holidays in Indonesia and Milne Bay in PNG. I’d previously been to Puerto Galera too, so going to Anilao just seemed logical at some point. It didn’t have quite the same degree of diversity as somewhere like Lembeh or Ambon, but what it did have was good. I was happily impressed with the photo opportunities that Anilao had to offer. I think it likely that the typhoon washed away a considerable number of critters (something the dive guides also mentioned), so please take this comment regarding the diversity with that in mind. There were a lot of comments like “oh, the resident <insert critter here> is no longer at that dive site” between the different guides on different boats during surface intervals at different sites, things like pygmy seahorses being washed away and whatnot. I can only imagine how much better it could have been if the timing of my trip was a few weeks earlier. That’s the way these things go though, we can’t control the weather – and really, it’s just an excuse to go back once the critters resettle and the sites recover a bit :D Because unlike Malapascua, I actually enjoyed the diving in Anilao well enough (even with the typhoon-related issues), to return in the future.

The current could be a bit strong at times (we called one dive because it was so bad it was effectively a whiteout – couldn’t see my hand in front of my face). Water temps were around 26 ± 1C according to my computer, and I was happy that I’d packed my 5mm as it actually felt colder than my computer technically said it was. A lot of guests were in 3mm suits, and more than a few were regularly complaining about being cold. Those who had the forethought to bring hooded vests with them ended up using them underneath. The guides were in at least 5mm and all had hoods. Viz was highly variable, but I’d say 5-7m on average – again, I’m in no doubt it’d be better if I hadn’t arrived there literally the day after the typhoon hit.

My guide Romnick was amazing :) Every muck diver knows that your guide can make or break a trip like this. Despite being quite young, he’s certainly got an eye for the little and hard to find stuff! Very impressed.

Photos here!

You should give it another try in couple of yrs time.
I can still remember the time when mobile was not an option as we found there was no one to greet us at NAIA. By the time we got into Batangas the pre-arranged banca had already returned to PG..........

Cheers.

Great report and the pictures are spectacular.

I was in Anilao the same time you were. Went down on the 27th and left on the 1st. Unfortunately, we don't have a generator so didn't have power for three days. It was OK though, cause it was pretty cool. The resort next door was kind enough to keep our food supplies in their freezer.

Plug for El Pinoy Resort... very nice people!

As an Anilao "regular," I was disappointed with the vis and can attest that many of the resident critters had moved.

Were any of the pictures taken in front of El Pinoy/Vivere Azure? There were 5-8 boat there the whole time. I didn't bother going down because it must have been crowded down there. I just hung out on the floating decks with my kids and dog! Curious to know whether it was good. I find that I often go off to sites further away rather than just doing an shore dive, thinking they would be better. I guess I take for granted the sight right in front of my house!

We did one dive off El Pinoy. The pipehorse and the orange and black dragonet photos were taken there by the looks of it. Buceo Anilao had a similar situation with their house reef - constantly other boats on it. That being said, I never found the dive sites to be crowded and rarely ran into other divers underwater even when there were other boats around.

Wetpup, thanks for the review(s). I might go to both Malapascua and Anilao in the next couple of months, It's always interesting and informative to read recent reviews. Thanks for sharing your pictures too :thumb:

Nice purple weedy Rhinopias! I'd just about give my first born (if I had one) to see one. I'm envious.

So the freighter ended up on Secret Bay?

Tough luck with the typhoon, I'm headed to the PI soon and am hoping all the critters in Romblon aren't washed away. I'm hoping and praying to see a Colemans melibe nudi.

So weird about lots of boats at Buceos house reef. When I was there a couple of years ago we didn't dive it for lack of critters. Goes to show that things are in a constant state of flux.

Not sure exactly what the name of the place is where the ship ran aground - but it was about half way between Mabini township and Buceo Anilao. We saw it still aground on the drive in when we arrived. I think it's been refloated now as I don't recall seeing it on the way back out (although admittedly I wasn't paying much attention).

I actually thought the Buceo house reef was a pretty good dive site :) One of the better sites for a night dive that's for sure.

Thanks for the report Wetpup, I'm envious with the purple Rhino everyone back from Anilao seems to spot this year... except me.

So weird about lots of boats at Buceos house reef. When I was there a couple of years ago we didn't dive it for lack of critters. Goes to show that things are in a constant state of flux.
That's secret garden and it's a pretty good site,I normally book 2 days going on that site in my regular Anilao trips.

Usually one of the best in Anilao for nudibranches, like Phyllodesmium or Janolus sp. or the odd colored thecacera like....

25681045710_3d89fb4238_z.jpg

Nice purple weedy Rhinopias! I'd just about give my first born (if I had one) to see one. I'm envious.

Tough luck with the typhoon, I'm headed to the PI soon and am hoping all the critters in Romblon aren't washed away. I'm hoping and praying to see a Colemans melibe nudi.

I can relate a bit to your typhoon experience.

I'm at Buceo as I type. I did a last minute redirect. I was in Sogod Bay and a damn LPS kept pumping rain and wind right at Leyte and Mindano. I had 2 days of diving then 1 night dive ( and 1 crazy boat ride) after 2 days 2 of sitting on my but I decided to flee north.
I saw the sun today! And had 2 great dives and one epic one. Epic for me because I saw my first Halimeda Ghost Pipe! My guide and other diver couldn't quite understand why I was screaming underwater and doing a happy dance. At the shop he was telling all the other guides that I was all excited about a Halimeda and I told him I sometimes feel the same way about a manta, but if he saw one he would have had my reaction. He agreed.
Problem is damn strobe batts are only good for about 2 3/4 dives, so I have to go back to shoot a few more. And seeing this thread reminds me I need to see if that purple rhino is still hanging around.

This is my first trip in SEA that the weather has been a bummer. My time in Romblon was great underwater but again rainy, my clothes are finally drying now that ive seen the sun and I had mold growing on my luggage.

To bad it wasn't as good of day for the rest of the world as me.

This is my first trip in SEA that the weather has been a bummer.

To bad it wasn't as good of day for the rest of the world as me.
The effect of the North East Monsoon in Philippines seems to last a lot longer than a typhoon.
Mar to June usually bring more settle weather but.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom