Animal Planet Friday Night 10-14-2011 - Diver Lost at Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well that was some escapade.

I guess Hollywood portrays divers as shooting down the anchor line real fast face first going hand over hand or did they really go down like that. No wonder his buddy had equalizing issues and had to scrub his dive.

In that case though, had he dove with his buddy, there could have been two lost divers.

I knew saltwater can cut and damage the skin but never realized it could just make the skin fall apart like it did to his hands and make his nails come off.

I am wondering if a light would have saved the guy. I always dive with a light here in New England. I had a diver actually ridicule me for diving with a light on a shallow shore dive a few weeks back and I didn't care, I knew he wasn't very experienced. Here in NE with 5ft vis, lights help with buddy separations.

I would have ditched the tank and kept the BC instead of ditching both as I could have put the BC over my head for sun protection or floated face down on it. Also one more yucky thing for a shark to bite that wouldn't taste good.

I think the big lesson is to dive very conservatively in a new area that you are unfamiliar with. Making it back to the anchor line on a boat dive is always a challenge once the line is gone from view. Reels get tangled so maybe go off in different short compass directions and reciprocal coming back frequently may be the trick if there is no good means of navigation. This guy ended up 1/2 mile from the boat and the surprise sudden underwater current was the key factor into his escapade.

Aside from all the technical inaccuracies ("oxygen" tank, how dangerous a sport scuba diving is, etc.), I think the main lesson I took away from this was that his situation was completely avoidable. If he had just ascended with his buddy and not tried to make a solo dive, he would have been back on the boat, swallowed his pride at not catching anything, and on his way. I'm not sure if his navy training properly qualified him to dive alone, but it sure didn't look like he was equipped to do so from the re-enactment.

Even as a relatively new diver, I had to laugh at the hand-over-hand descents and ascents on the anchor line. Are these "pros" buoyancy control that bad that they couldn't manage to make a free descent/ascent using the line only as a reference? I know there was some current about, hence his getting lost at sea, but it didn't exactly look like the divers in the re-enactment were being blown sideways off the anchor line.

I also had to do the facepalm while watching his runaway ascent after being tumbled around by the current. facepalm.gif

I think the big lesson is to dive very conservatively in a new area that you are unfamiliar with... This guy ended up 1/2 mile from the boat and the surprise sudden underwater current was the key factor into his escapade.

Complacency kills?

I watched the show and was amazed. This is an experienced navy diver. Besides going solo on the dive and not keeping orientation to the boat while chasing the lobster, Why didn't he have any safety devices. Anything and everything can be a asset if your adrift so if it's not hurting you, I don't know why you would get rid of anything that is buoyant. He did not have a single safety device that might have helped the boat see him from the start. He used his mask to flash a plane and that was the best he could do since he apparently had nothing else to signal anyone with. I've carried a vhf radio in a otter box for 10yrs for the small chance I come up and I'm far enough from the boat they don't see or hear me and I always tell the captain to listen to the radio if I'm missing. In theory, the radio is good for five miles but regardless of the range, it's much better than anything else I carry and at $100 it's pretty cheap insurance. I carry on all dives a light, mirror, radio, smb, dye pack, 6' of tether rope, light stick, whistle, air alert. 25yrs of diving, 500+ dives in both oceans, and never used any of it and hopefully never will, but it's there if I need it.

"I carry on all dives a light, mirror, radio, smb, dye pack, 6' of tether rope, light stick, whistle, air alert. 25yrs of diving, 500+ dives in both oceans, and never used any of it and hopefully never will, but it's there if I need it. "

Good list there Kraz; we can all learn form it.

If I do recall, the guy was yelling with his voice. I like to assume a storm whistle is the minimum one would carry for a safety device.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom