Ankle floats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustWetRocks

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Having gotten my buoyancy and trim and weights all examined..... conundrum time!
I am diving usually in a 3mm full, 5 mil boots, freshwater, aqualung rogue (back inflate), 63al, power fins.
With this setup I am still a little negative at eye level with an empty tank. In order to maintain jettison weights I carry 1.5lbs on each side. On the rogue these are unfortunately pretty much over my bum. The trim pockets are just above on my back... I do not use them and do not see them as an option...(in my 7mm full I require 4lbs on each side so maybe with that set up)
At neutral buoyancy, my legs will drop and pull me to vertical. With the 3 lbs it is of course a big fight due to placement. With no weight it is much more manageable, and if I just hold the 3lbs at my chest it’s perfect.
I am looking for options....is there a way to attach floats to my ankles or fin straps? Or clip weights to my shoulders? The weights would have to be ditchable... and I would need them to be evenly spread out unless there is a chest strap weight?
It’s about 3lbs of positive buoyancy that I need to add.... ideas?

are these the idi power fins? have you tried less negative fins like mares quattros instead of a rubber jet style fin?

are these the idi power fins? have you tried less negative fins like mares quattros instead of a rubber jet style fin?

I have also used atomic splits. (They gave me cramps)
I have asked about fins but the instructor has also agreed it won’t make up the difference that I need.

It’s about 3lbs of positive buoyancy that I need to add.... ideas?
A pint of water is a pound. ---So that is a bit much volume to add to a balanced rig and then try to ignore.

I would suggest that you start your analysis over again from the ground up. But this time add a rubber weight belt with a few pounds on it. You can then distribute your ditchable weight as an instant 'Bye and Gone' improvement to reduce stress, and yet have a second more considered (and more serious) reduction in weight.

This is something you just have to fuss with (in a pool).

Suggestion: search SB for 'balanced rig'.

A pint of water is a pound. ---So that is a bit much volume to add to a balanced rig and then try to ignore.

I would suggest that you start your analysis over again from the ground up. But this time add a rubber weight belt with a few pounds on it. You can then distribute your ditchable weight as an instant 'Bye and Gone' improvement to reduce stress, and yet have a second more considered (and more serious) reduction in weight.

This is something you just have to fuss with in a pool.

This has been done under supervision and in a pool. If I start completely over .... with nothing and add weight, I will be sitting at the bottom of the pool. I am negative in the setup above and I am negative if I jump in butt naked.

I have also used atomic splits. (They gave me cramps)
Side note: I'm not doubting you, but I find that curious. That is what they are "supposed to" avoid. I like mine for open water cruising, but am moving away from them due to the type of diving I'm doing and a change of footwear.

I also have chronic sinking feet and have been working on it myself. I use a 2lb-ish Stainless plate and diving my 7mm, I use 3lbs of weight mounted high on my plate behind my shoulder blades for trim and 2 4s in my dumpable waist pockets.

I'll throw out some thoughts that may or may not be helpful ...

Can your tank be mounted higher up on your BC? That will move the "heavy" valve and regulator up/forward.

If you are using only 3lb, you may be able to get away with the weight un-dumpable and just put it in the upper trim pocket positions behind your lungs. I'd ask your instructor's opinion, but 3lbs isn't terribly much to swim up if you have a BC failure. Additional weight for the 7mm can go in the dump pouches.

Take 1lb of the 3lbs hang it on the tank valve or shoulder straps with a velcro strap or similar. Then keep the 1 and 1 in your dump pouches.

That is a million dollar question that I will be able to answer tomorrow.
Deep 6 Eddy fins are slightly negative in fresh water, slightly positive in saltwater. Fins

Fins can make a huge difference.

Back
Top Bottom