Ann Arbor Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bravokiloromeo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all! Just moved to UoM from the Pacific NW for graduate school and am wondering what kind of diving folks are doing nearby (Huron, Erie, or otherwise). Ideally shore dives (going to be living the poor grad student life) but I am totally unfamiliar with the kind of diving here.

Hoping to find some dives within a ~2 hour drive - used to do 3 hr drives each way from Portland to Seattle to dive the Sound, and while I'm willing to do that it gets old pretty quickly!

Also in need of dive buddies if anyone needs or wants one! I've been diving about 1.5 years w/ ~85 dives, about 80% of those with GUE Seattle folks and 50% of those in a drysuit, just started diving doubles. Hoping to get my tech pass at some point but right now I just need to dive dive dive!

Double Action charters has a boat out of Sanilac. I’m a regular on their Chicago boat and have been to Sanilac once. Nice wrecks. Lot of people here dive their doubles on rec profiles and get two dives out of one set of tanks.

Go Blue! Eastern Michigan class of ‘91.

By the way, folks out here don’t get real dogmatic about agency stuff. We just do whatever works for us.

There’s whitestar quarry which is ran by Rich (who’s also on this site) who’s got a place in A2 and Monroe, there’s also Gilboa, and you can dive at Island lake recreation in Brighton. There’s shipwrecks beard Lexington

Welcome to Ann Arbor! There are a few of us who meet every Wednesday evening at 5:00 pm at Spring Mill Pond, in Island Lake Recreation Area up in Brighton. The diving is certainly nothing special (5-6' viz, 34' deep at most, easily silted up) but it's close. We also head to White Star or Gilboa on weekends. A few of us are trying to put together a trip up to Sanilac in September.

You can check out the Ann Arbor Bubble Blowers page on meetup.com. Not everyone who dives on Wednesdays is on the list, but it helps give us a better idea of who might be showing up and who we need to wait for.

Double Action charters has a boat out of Sanilac. I’m a regular on their Chicago boat and have been to Sanilac once. Nice wrecks. Lot of people here dive their doubles on rec profiles and get two dives out of one set of tanks.

Go Blue! Eastern Michigan class of ‘91.

By the way, folks out here don’t get real dogmatic about agency stuff. We just do whatever works for us.
Thanks for the info! I didn't mean to start an agency discussion, more just wanting to demonstrate that I'm serious about diving!

Welcome to Ann Arbor! There are a few of us who meet every Wednesday evening at 5:00 pm at Spring Mill Pond, in Island Lake Recreation Area up in Brighton. The diving is certainly nothing special (5-6' viz, 34' deep at most, easily silted up) but it's close. We also head to White Star or Gilboa on weekends. A few of us are trying to put together a trip up to Sanilac in September.

You can check out the Ann Arbor Bubble Blowers page on meetup.com. Not everyone who dives on Wednesdays is on the list, but it helps give us a better idea of who might be showing up and who we need to wait for.

Checking it out right now! I think Wednesdays will work for the time being because I think I only have morning class.

There’s whitestar quarry which is ran by Rich (who’s also on this site) who’s got a place in A2 and Monroe, there’s also Gilboa, and you can dive at Island lake recreation in Brighton. There’s shipwrecks beard Lexington
I'd heard of White Star but not any of the others, thanks for the info!

Checking it out right now! I think Wednesdays will work for the time being because I think I only have morning class.
Awesome! Hope to see you there. I know that at least two of us will be there next Wednesday.

If you haven't been to Spring Mill Pond before, enter Island Lake rec area off of Kensington Road and make a right just after the ranger kiosks. If you have transferred your car registration to Michigan and have opted for the annual state park pass, you're good to go. If not, you'll have to buy a park pass. Then, make that right and drive down the road about two miles until you see the sign for Spring Mill Pond. Turn left into the parking lot and park in front of the pavilion. We gather there and use the picnic tables to gear up.

Oh, and a word to the wise: try to stay off of US-23 during rush hour! Take the back roads instead.

Awesome! Hope to see you there. I know that at least two of us will be there next Wednesday.

If you haven't been to Spring Mill Pond before, enter Island Lake rec area off of Kensington Road and make a right just after the ranger kiosks. If you have transferred your car registration to Michigan and have opted for the annual state park pass, you're good to go. If not, you'll have to buy a park pass. Then, make that right and drive down the road about two miles until you see the sign for Spring Mill Pond. Turn left into the parking lot and park in front of the pavilion. We gather there and use the picnic tables to gear up.

Oh, and a word to the wise: try to stay off of US-23 during rush hour! Take the back roads instead.
Good to know :) I think I will have to miss the first few Wednesdays this month because orientation starts next week and runs late, but I will be there eventually!

Thanks for the info! I didn't mean to start an agency discussion, more just wanting to demonstrate that I'm serious about diving!

A dive buddy of mine is moving out to Seattle later in the month for grad school. She’s going to be going the GUE route. I know they’re big out there. Just wanted to let you know that we don’t get all hung up on agencies out here. Folks do what’s best for them and what works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom