Announcing the SubGravity H3 - Powered by SeaBear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, a question for the Petrel/OSTC etc users. I noticed the H3 counts down deco stops in 1 min increments if more than 10 min (so 14, 13, 12 min etc) and 20 sec increments if below 10 min (so 8.40, 8.20, 8.00 etc). I believe the change is at 10 min but not exactly sure. The safety stop is counted down in 1 sec intervals (so 2.51, 2.50, 2.49 etc). I feel I would like a more 'live/direct' countdown.

How does the countdown go on other computers? Or is this a normal kind of countdown?

Petrel only shows 1-minute resolution in numbers. However, there's a "loading bar" counter across the top of the "minute" number that counts down. It's not as precise as a second-value, but it's very easy to read and overall it's much cleaner than 2 more digits would be. I've never really wanted the extra digits.

You can see the bar over the "time" number and the deco stop number. You can see it in this video pretty clearly.

Petrel wannabe sold out......film at 11

Interesting, and I imagine a big deal from the marketing angle. ScubaPro is a strong brand in scuba (granted, my only ScubaPro gear is a fin bag that was a gift). When Huish acquired Atomic Aquatics, AA retained its name and its products are still sold under it. Huish also has Liquivision, a 'competitor' (which sounds weird to me).

On the other hand, it could drive market penetration for the SeaBear product to be rebranded ScubaPro something-or-other (they need a catchy name!), or even the ScubaPro SeaBear? Get it in dive shops that favor ScubaPro.

Do that, and a lot of recreational divers will have it on their wrist before they get into technical diving or learn there is a Petrel. It'll show up on dive boats as a popular high-end option for diving, helping draw new converts.

Ironically so far, debate on the SeaBear vs. Petrel has featured the Petrel as the reigning champion, & the SeaBear the young contender. In real world practice, an aggressive & successful push by ScubaPro might, for many who don't research on ScubaBoard and aren't mentored by tec. divers, turn it around (in their minds). To the point where someday, the issue might be 'I already have a ScubaPro Seabear H3; why should I buy a Petrel?'

Richard.

It's interesting in that perhaps now the SeaBear can use the technology from Scubapro and become wireless air integrated, arguably a feature that some want.

Speaking of wireless air integration, any update on that? I was thinking maybe a DEMA announcement, but that doesn't seem likely. I see on many sites under the H3 it still says "coming by the end of 2015," but I wonder if those are old news postings that haven't been updated to reflect accurate information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom