Annoying google “ad”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It makes SB downright unusable.

You can’t close it. Any attempt to close it takes you to another page with some ******** survey, then you can’t swipe back to the previous page you were on. So if you were viewing a thread you have to start from the beginning.

It’s ridiculous.

I was able hit the X in the address bar when the pop up would appear and then hit the back arrow to return to right where I left off. However after turning off JavaScript nothing works right so I have a choice to make, either deal with the annoying adds or stop coming to ScubaBoard until it gets figured out or deal with only having a halfway functional experience. For now I’m making due without JavaScript but it’s ALMOST as annoying as the adds.

This is not an ad, it’s a phishing scheme. For those of you not getting this ad, it’s not in the side column, it takes over the page, claiming to be a Google survey, then leads you to another page with no hope of getting back. I have had to close out of Scubaboard at least 6 times today, but have been having the problem on-and-off for about a week. It doesn’t seem to be a virus, as I don’t get it on any other pages. It has appeared on both my iPad and my iPhone. I’m hoping with this thread Scubaboard support will become aware and fix the problem (unless it’s an apple problem?)

Erik

It seems to be an Apple user problem and I wonder too if USA based users. I haven’t had it happen since I arrived in Bonaire and I don’t recall seeing a complaint from anyone not in the US.

I got rid of it by clearing the history, cache, and cookies in all my devices and in Googles separate history (it caches all that in cyberspace under your Google ID)

I'm relatively confident its operating system agnostic. I agree it's phishing. It's using JavaScript. It's likely coming via advertisement banners.

Ad blockers that redirect traffic to localhost seem successful. Those that use other methods seem less so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom