Annual training requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hfdtodefire

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Trying to get a feel for what people are requiring for minimum training to maintain a current dive status.

We do the annual IADRS swim test, and scuba pool skills. We are adding this coming year all skills that are included for the cert. level that a person has, ie. normal mask and regulator skills, full-face skills and emergency procedures for such, dry-suit skills and emergency procedures. (Currently not all are full-face or dry suit, but we are working on that.)

Second we are requiring a minimum of 6 dives per year to keep 'current'. There is no requirement that they be in a 'low-viz/blackout' situation but that even open water dives they may do on their own count, since the thought is that bottom-time earned is experience.

What are you thoughts on these? Too little? Too much? Too vague? Too lenient?

Thanks for your opinions and assistance.

I am of the opinion that the primary goal of dive training is to build comfort and familiarity with the equipment and working underwater. There is a lot that can be simulated with a blacked out mask and this can be done very safely and has proven benefits.

It is also fairly easy for the dive team leader to size up his divers based on the IADRS Watermanship Test, the annual skills review and several open water dives. If the divers are exhibiting a high comfort level, there is nothing wrong with ramping up the training to include some realistic conditions, MINUS THE HAZARDS.

I think it is most important though to set the team up for success. A god team leader will never challenge his divers to the point where they can't safely accomplish the task. If that happens, morale is ruined, divers quit the team and the team leader looses credibility.

Your divers will have immense respect if you give them a good learning experience that they enjoy. With them knowing that your primary concern is their safety, you will earn their trust. Respect and trust are EARNED over time and are not awarded to the leader though a promotion or an election.

Also know that there is nothing wrong with doing more than six dives in a year. I believe most on this forum will agree that six dives is the bare bones MINIMUM. Consider the benefits of planning more dives and anticipating that some members will be unable to attend, may be sick, or may be assigned to line tending duties.

Best of luck!

Blades Robinson

We require the IADRS waterman ship test, and offer weekly trainings through the summer, Usually on Wed. evenings. We have had good attendance and so have not had to push the Minimum At least once a month requirement.

We also require a diver to have a min. of 20 dives to search in still water, (Lakes ponds etc.) and 30 to search in the river, 5 of which have to be river dives and one with our dive team on a training.

Tonight is our meeting, and there is talk of raising our minimum standards. What I am hearing will be proposed is asking that all our divers will have a min. of 50 dives and 5 specialties, including stress and rescue. also that it be required to show up at 4 required trainings, those being:

1. IADRS waterman ship test Usually in March

2. Blackout and Entanglement night in the Fall

3. Ice training winter... this training would be required to be on
scene on the ice, only divers who dive in
training will be allowed to dive on callouts

4. River training which is available every week June through
September

The Idea is to raise the bar for the members of our team so that we dont have just willing C-card Divers showing up 3 times a year and wanting to search...(that is how it was when I joined, I was on my first body recovery as my 3 logged dive out of cert class.) We are fortunate to have some great, really comfortable divers that are very capeable and willing to meet these requirements. I will post as to the outcome of the meeting and how the general Unit accepts our new proposed minimum standards.

I know that Rec. Diving classes dont really cross over to PSD however the general education that is picked up, the practice to be resiliant at basic scuba skills, and the commitment from members to reach this level will compliment our team, our skills, and increase our safety. also that training is readily available in house to help minimize expences.

I have the same question. Do you believe this is too much?

I think many of the recreational diving certifications help ALL divers feel more comfortable in the water. The "Stress & Rescue" course (SSI) is a great program, as is the "Rescue Diver" course (PADI) and a host of others from our training partners.

The trick is getting these divers trained by a good instructor who has skill, ability and knowledge and hasn't just read how to "do it" out of a book or taken a 3 day program and now feels qualified to teach the subject.

Desert Pirate asked an interesting question though and that is the primary reason for my reply; does anyone feel this training is too much?

I admire teams that strive to learn and set high goals. I think the goal of 50 dives is worthy for promotion to "team leader" or may even be a requirement for the "stand-by diver." As it relates to the "primary diver" function, I wonder how a new PSD would get the dives and experience to reach the 50 mark if he still can't participate on call outs after 20 dives. Additionally, because this is a team decision, is there a belief that a diver with 20-30 dives still isn't safe/effective in the water? If there is a single individual that is called into question, then possibly the single diver needs additional training/evaluation. If there is a group of divers who have issues, then possibly raising the requirements may hold some weight.

I wonder if instead of a minimum dive requirement, if a performance requirement might not be a better option. Having a certain number of certifications is reasonable, as is having divers prove their ability by passing a performance based test.

Can they recover all of the shell casings during a training dive using a grid?
Can they conduct a sweep search in a large pool wearing a blacked out mask within a certain time frame?
Can they control their breathing rate at an acceptable level using a surface air consumption rate as a guide?
... you get the idea.

Because this is a team decision, I am curious to know what the final decision is. Please advise when time allows.

well, our team leader is in North Carolina at some training or something.... so our vote did not happen. There was a little discussion between divers, and seems as though everybody is ok with it. My concern is this....

A team that averages around 4 river recoveries a year, Is it a wise team decision to make a minimum standard that high? there is nothing saying we cant have a team goal that is much higher than minimum.... but this raises the chances of "culling" (yes I am a farmer most the time) good river divers because they are uncomfortable under ice.... our team to my knowlege have never had to dive for an ice fisherman or snowmobile that has fallen through, but there is alot of need on the river during summer months. also I fear that its is easy to vote a higher minimum standard as most the team already meets or exceeds it, but in fairness, is it making it so as members leave that new members can not get on?

As for the 50 dives, We also let divers use the bottom time when they dive on their own, and if they show at the river trainings regularly it is only one summer to reach that many dives and also have dove with the team. As it stands now they can come to trainings to gain experience but are not allowed to dive on a search until the 30 required, 5 in the river are met..

It is my belief that the standard should be somewere between these two marks, 5 dives is not enough to gain confidence, and 50 is alot of diving... I think our standard is too low now.... but am concerned to raise the bar to high and create an unnecassary sift.

Our team tries to practice twice a month through most of year taking a break around the winter holidays. To be mission ready team members need to attend at least 50% of the the practices and meetings. Our divers are also doing their normal recreational diving on top of that. They also have to do the IADRS watermanship test and scuba skills every year. Besides that, the senior divers and team members have to feel comfortable that new divers have become efficient and comfortable in various situations and skilled in PSD type of diving. While someone may be good at patterns, if they are unconfortable doing blackout training, they would not be considered mission ready. I agree with Blades that the performance based part of being mission ready is more important than just meeting the minimum dive requirements. While a minimum of 50 dives might seem high, I think that most new divers will be close to that by the time they are considered mission ready.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom