Another Bad Shark...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeh, looks like a tiger, pretty good size.

Hard to tell in the vid but was it already coming vertical when you first saw it?

Not my video, but I imagine the shark was stalking and as soon as the diver started the ascent it went under him to attack. Fortunately the gig was up when the diver spotted him.

Last edited:
I don't get that video. It seems like the camera was a mask mount? Did the diver happen to look down at the split second and then caught the shark and was already poking at it? Or did the shark already bump him? Maybe the camera was mounted somewhere else and there is a lag between him reacting and the video catching up.

What is neat is that it seems like the diver got a breath and then started back down to chase the shark!

Where did this happen? The last video you shared, of a bull shark rushing at a spear fisherman, you told me was in Australia. I'm curious about this one, and opening the video in a separate window didn't clarify it.

Scary stuff! Wonder if he had prey, and whether the shark was after his catch?

Richard.

@KDAD I don't know. Looks like a mask mount to me as you see both hands on the gun. Why he looked down at that moment is beyond me. Sixth sense? It doesn't look like he got a warning bump, but then again it's hard to tell.

@drrich2 The guy in the other video posted another follow up video stating that he hadn't shot any fish yet. However, the subsequent video kind of sucks as the divers are seen standing on some beautiful reef building corals in really shallow water. Kind of ****** divers would be so careless like that. I'm all for individuals harvesting their own food, but destroying a reef is not good seamanship.

As far as this video. I'm not 100% sure where it occurred but he uploaded a video from Florida a week ago. I'm not sure the user is actually the diver. Looks like the account is just redistributing videos. I could be wrong.

I don't get that video. It seems like the camera was a mask mount? Did the diver happen to look down at the split second and then caught the shark and was already poking at it? Or did the shark already bump him? Maybe the camera was mounted somewhere else and there is a lag between him reacting and the video catching up.

What is neat is that it seems like the diver got a breath and then started back down to chase the shark!

It looks like a mask mounted camera, almost 100% sure. The freediver was hunting in what I estimate to be 80 feet or so, tried to line up on a fish a couple times, could not get the shot and started a normal ascent. The diver was probably looking horizontally and slightly upward during the ascent. If he was aware of a shark around, he probably would have been looking down and may have been spinning on his ascent - so i would guess he had no idea there was a shark in the areas.

It is common to be looking upward a little since it is comforting to see the surface approaching. the diver can see further and better than the camera, so he was seeing the surface for most of the ascent.

I think the shark bumped his fins or gun, causing him to look down and he instinctively tried to move the gun between him and the shark. If you watch carefully, you can actually see the bump - the camera is jostled and there is a momentary delay in him looking downward. It seems likely the shark rammed his fins, possibly the gun -but there was definitely contact between the shark and diver before he looks down. I think there is one attempt to bite and the video - just shows it two times (repeating that segment) I think anyway.

it is very important that the diver, after getting some air, continue to watch the shark and move aggressively toward it. That is what was done and I would do it as well, if I was not too freaked out. You are very vulnerable from a vertical attack on the surface - especially when alone.

i have seen similar situations, both as a spectator and participant - but not with a tiger - if that is what it was.. (which I don't dispute).

keep this video in mind when all the tree hugging divers tell you that sharks don't eat or bite divers in clear water unless they have been provoked. There is no evidence of this being a provoked attack, but it is possible there was bait, blood or a lost fish in the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom