Another call out of briefing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We just finished up with swing shift briefing and I told the Sgt. I needed to do some Dive Team stuff prior to heading out to my district. I get over to Marine and as I’m getting out of the car he calls me on the radio. I have my hands full of new goodies I just picked up from the dive shop so I have to wait a couple of minutes.

Once inside I put the stuff down on the table and call him back. “Call dispatch and head out on the detail ASAP.” Ok, I call and hear, “We have a dead body about 20 yards off the docks at Third Street next to Tubbs Hill.”

Hummmmm, we are at 50/50 for calls there so I’m wondering what this is going to be. Sometimes it’s a body and sometimes it isn’t. But I get about half way there and dispatch calls with, “It’s confirmed and they advised you can cancel.” ***? Now we know it’s a body in the water but they are calling us off? I advised dispatch that I was close and that I’d continue.

I get there and bigger than whatever we have a floater. The IC Fireman says they can reach him with a Pike Pole so we can go ahead and cancel. I politely asked him if he ever considered this to be a homicide? He looked at me with a very surprised stare and said, “No we hadn’t, tell me what you need us to do.”

So after a few laughs, out of the publics eye, I call the Sgt. and have him call out two of the team members.

While we were waiting for everyone to get on scene I got suited up and my gear down by the icy shoreline. Then we set up some of the Firemen as surface tenders, which they were tickled to do. Little did they know I was pairing them up with two of our FNG’s. A lot of first’s for both of them. First under the ice (Frazzle) that you could poke your fingers through, first night dive and first body. Hey, they have to learn sometime. Other than crossing their lines they did very well. But one of them had not got his gear ready to go after our last dives and my subtle butt chewing got the point across.

Prior to touching the body they did a perimeter search looking for any evidence. Finding none the three of us loaded him into a Stokes, which the Firemen removed from the waters edge and packed back up the icy hill.

The Chief got a chuckle out of it when I said we have totally different mentalities when it comes to these things. They are thinking victim and medical issues and we are thinking who killed him.

The sad thing about this operation is almost all of us have known him for a lot of years. A super nice guy that always had a smile on his face and never let you walk by without saying “Hi”.

I’ll post more as the investigation allows.

Water 6-10’ deep, 35df and good vis.

Gary D. :(

Here is the paper article.

http://www.cdapress.com/articles/2007/01/23/news/news01.txt

This part of the article was not us! :shakehead
When police arrived, Ulrick and his friends told their story to a patrolman. The unidentified officer allegedly threatened to charge Ulrick with battery for intentionally throwing snowballs at the man, Ulrick said.

"I wasn't doing that," Ulrick said. "He made an assumption that we were up to no good. It really pisses me off that he thought we were trying to hit a dead man with a snowball."

Gary D.

Gary D.:
The Chief got a chuckle out of it when I said we have totally different mentalities when it comes to these things. They are thinking victim and medical issues and we are thinking who killed him.

Same thing with our FD. They do quite a lot of cross training with our local PD (their training officer is a local PD Sgt.), but whenever they get to the scene, they're in rescue mode, which does take priority over recovery mode. Sometimes that just doesn't work out so well for us, but again: rescue first.

Gary D.:
The sad thing about this operation is almost all of us have known him for a lot of years. A super nice guy that always had a smile on his face and never let you walk by without saying “Hi”.

Man, that sucks. Condolences.

Same issues here with our FD's...Most of which are rural volunteer departments (not knocking volunteers of course:wink: ). There is a totally different mentality. We have started an awareness presentation, which seems to have helped some.

its interesting following how every bodies teams differ. Our Team is all volunteers, but it consists of alot of both SD and FD. so Ive seen the ,Im gonna use this term loosley, priorities differ between the two. We also have a lot of civilian vonunteers, farmers, store managers, brokers, you name it its a mixing pot. But I think were they are nuetral on how theyre proffesions look at these scenerios works a little bit better. its not automatically someone to blame, yet a RESCUE would always be nice for a change. I would like to get some training for our team on evidence recovery. We found 7 guns under bridges in our county last fall, even though its important to get them to SD, I no we made alot of misakes... It would be nice if our civilian divers could be taught how to do that, they are the biggest part and really the most comfortable divers on our team.

WOW! I meet him a couple of weeks ago when I was there on business. My co-worker had his shoes shined by Kenny, and sent me his direction too. We chatted as he worked. Very nice guy. He talked about his days in California working for the railroad. Hopefully his passing was an accident or caused by a medical condition. May he rest in peace...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom