Another consumer side scan unit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's pretty cool stuff. I may have to start looking into a sidescan unit again. It's been years since I wrote it off. Thanks for the info!

While I don't know how because I have not bothered to research it but you can convert a Humminbird to a tow fish and then output the data to a PC (not Mac) using various software and produce much improved images. One of the problems with a transom mount sidescan is that sometimes the unit reflects from the motor lower unit or propellers, it can pick up bubbles and turbulence from the hull, the rocking of the boat side to waves produces an image distorted exactly like the wave pattern. Towing a fish eliminates all of that but also is no longer convenient to switch modes, run at speed etc. Note, the side scan feature is operated ALWAYS at low speed, 2 to 6 MPH. At planning speed the unit can be used in it's standard dual band bottom sonar. Mine stays locked well to about 35MPH unless I am getting air under the hull--which happens.

I built a towfish for my 997 and it works beautifully. My next step to build a cable that allow me to run the fish down deeper that 4-5' that I am currently at. I think Humminbird has outgrown the "freshwater" image that they had in the past.

Back
Top Bottom