Another day in the life of a PSD.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not want to do what Gary and other PSDs do. I am however, forever grateful and respectful of their work and am happy there are those that can and care enough to do this kind of work. Could I do it? Probably could, but it would not be my first choice as a profession.

DennisW:
I would not want to do what Gary and other PSDs do. I am however, forever grateful and respectful of their work and am happy there are those that can and care enough to do this kind of work. Could I do it? Probably could, but it would not be my first choice as a profession.

And just think...Gary gets rewarded with a massive salary, and a large pay over-ride for doing that work! :11:

Rob

Please don't infer from my above post that I have anything other than respect and admiration for the PSD's of the world.

Its just that I guess the rest of us (at least I, for one) think of saving drowning kids and placing them into the arms of grateful parents when I hear or see the phrase "public safety diver." Regardless of the pay (and yes, I would imagine they're all underpaid), who wouldn't want a job like that, right?

Prior to Scubaboard in general, and Garys posts in particular, I never would have imagined having to dive in crap (figuratively, and literally) or hand searching in muck for bone fragments. Seems like it would suck the fun outta diving.

Saipanman:
Please don't infer from my above post that I have anything other than respect and admiration for the PSD's of the world.

Its just that I guess the rest of us (at least I, for one) think of saving drowning kids and placing them into the arms of grateful parents when I hear or see the phrase "public safety diver." Regardless of the pay (and yes, I would imagine they're all underpaid), who wouldn't want a job like that, right?

Prior to Scubaboard in general, and Garys posts in particular, I never would have imagined having to dive in crap (figuratively, and literally) or hand searching in muck for bone fragments. Seems like it would suck the fun outta diving.
There's nothing wrong with your first post.

Way to many people get into the PSD field thinking it is all fun and glory saving one kid after another. But it just isn't that way. I have lost many hours of sleep crying over an incident. They never get any better. I can almost tell you how many nights will be sleepless and how long I'll be withdrawn after an incident. Accidents with kids are without a doubt the worst and will have me for several days. Drunkin adults doing stupid things might cause me to lose a few hours. One little girl has been with me for over 20 years.

It does ruin a lot of divers and that is why I'm so blunt when someone is thinking about being a PSD. I still love diving and have a lot of fun. But there is a big percentage of my own department that have burned out and will never dive again. When it's play time I'm way laid back. When it's work I am one strict sob at times. And everyone knows Do as I say and not as I do.

I will not ask a single one of my team to do anything I won't do. The real bad dives I will normally take on for a variety of reasons. My time is coming to an end and it will be up to them soon enough.

Don't worry about your post, it was very proper.

Gary D.

Saipanman,

As Gary said, there was nothing wrong with your post. If my reply implied that I thought you didn't respect the work that PSD divers do, then I apologize. I just made a statement that reflected my thoughts and feelings for these great guys that bring back loved ones for people so they can move on with their lives. It's normally a thankless job that, as Gary says, can take a tremendously large toll on those that choose that profession. Some can continue, as Gary has, some can't. I surely appreciate thier sacrifices and dedication to duty. I am sure you do as well.

DennisW:
Saipanman,

As Gary said, there was nothing wrong with your post. If my reply implied that I thought you didn't respect the work that PSD divers do, then I apologize. I just made a statement that reflected my thoughts and feelings for these great guys that bring back loved ones for people so they can move on with their lives. It's normally a thankless job that, as Gary says, can take a tremendously large toll on those that choose that profession. Some can continue, as Gary has, some can't. I surely appreciate thier sacrifices and dedication to duty. I am sure you do as well.

No apology needed, from you or anyone else. I wasn't addressing anyone in particular; I just sort of rethought my previous post and self-censored a bit.

Anyone else notice that many other threads devolve into venomous diatribes or shouting matches but the PSD one rarely does? Perhaps its because those of us who aren't psds have a lot of respect for those of you who are, and those of you who are are used to dealing with a-holes, and therefore can rise above it.

Whatever the reason, people here are nice, and I intend to do my part to keep it this way.

So, I apologize for being wishy-washy, and for kinda hijacking the thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom