Another dive flag with float

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DI_Guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all:

I wanted to make an inexpensive dive flag and float that comes apart easily.

I got the idea from a dive buddy (Brian P.) (Thanks Brian)

Here is what I used to make it.

- replacement tent pole made of fiberglass sections (comes in 3 sections)
- A piece hard and durable styrofoam (from a shipping crate) shaped to a cylinder
- a piece of gas line hose (had it kicking around)
- six small hose clamps
- some large stainless steel flat washers
- a stainless steel eyelet ( to connect line to )
- 2 pound lead weight

I did not want to weaken the fibreglass rods by drilling them, therefore I used the hose bits and hose clamps to hold things in place. I used the flat washers to hold the styrofoam in place. I braised the SS eyelet onto a large SS flat washer to allow free rotation of the connector to the rope on my reel. I slid a stainless sleeve over the fibre glass pole to protect the pole from the cutting action of the forementioned flat washer. I used a 10" bungee cord to hold the sections together and hold the dive flag tight. The real was an old fishing reel I picked up. It has 100' of 1/8" diameter nylon line on it.
In the end, I am very happy with the design and it has virtually no drag if you have to pull it along during a dive.
Have a look at the pics and see what you think.

Hi All:

I don't see the photos that I uploaded on to this thread anymore. Have they disappeared ? Maybe its just my computer messing up.

Can anyone else see them ?

Nope, me neither.

Maybe check the Site Support forum - there have been some issues with attachments lately. Perhaps this is related.

Cheers,

Andrew

Can't see them.

Thanks guys... I thought it was just me. It's too bad because the photos looked pretty good.

I have noticed that many "attachments" don't seem to be there on other threads as well. Maybe a server problem on the board.

I like the old fishing real idea for the line. I know what my next project will be.

useless.gif

here's resurrecting an old thread ... any chance of reloading the image?

Aloha, Tim

I dont tow a float behind me when I dive, but I do trail one out behind the boat if there is any current.
I use a car tyre innertube that is tied to a piece of plywood. very cheap quick and easy to make and can suport a couple of tired dives if needed to. Next step is to add a mast for a flag and also red/white/red lights running of my mk1 light cannister for night dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom