Another Dive Knife Question, but not for dive use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know you asked about "knives", but your focus on functionality seems to be "rope/line cutting ability, be able to slice through clothing, resist rusting", and emergency response/rescue.
Consider this Benchmade 7hook as an alternative or supplement to a knife:

Benchmade 7 Rescue Hook Strap Cutter X15-TN Steel 4.3" Overall, Black Sheath, Orange Handle Model 7H20W - Knifecenter.com
This particular model is made of a corrosion-resistant alloy, and that seller has about the best price I've seen. I was pointed to them by someone else here on SB.

Comes with a pretty secure sheath system. The manufacturer's description is here:
7 Hook/ Safety Cutter | Benchmade

I'm pretty convinced that the Spyderco Caspian Salt knife has the best sheath out there. Check it out. Less than seventy bucks on eBay new.

Gday guys, looks like i've hit the jackpot here, a forum with a sub forum devoted purely to knives

Im chasing a knife, funnily enough, yet im not a diver. Im a jetski driver for the wesfarmers emergency response team that we have in WA, basically if some one goes missing etc and its in white water, especially around margret river, gracetown surf areas etc the water police call us out to go looking for them. We go out in surf conditions around 6ft and larger, in 20+ knot winds. As its white water we punch through waves constantly

What im chasing from the knife is the holder it uses, the strength of the holder, both latching the knife in, and how it attaches to a dive belt, must have rope/line cutting ability, be able to slice through clothing, resist rusting. Can either be folding or full size, still un decided about sharp or blunt tip

There is the high possability i'll lose it on a call out so would prefer it to be sub $100

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, cheers

If you are expecting to lose these from time to time I would go with something cheap and modify it to your needs. The top knife in the picture below may work well for you. It is a lock blade folding knife built into a carabiner that has a knob on the gate to lock the gate closed that could be clipped anywhere. Next knife down is one I modified so a shackle and clip could be attached and I cut away part of the handle so it could be opened easier with gloves on but that one is not a lock blade. The last one is a cheap lock blade that I attached a shackle and clip to that can also be attached just about anywhere.

Attachments

• IMG_1958.jpg
    IMG_1958.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 343
I'm in agreement with the line cutters, Dive Rite has a A knife which is about disposable and aroung $20. Benchmade and Columbia River all make nice cutters also. With gloves I like the Benchmade (better sheath) and Columbia River better.

Looks nice but you may consider a sheathed knife. This seems a little thing and may pertain more to diving but I find it's easier to quickly grab a knife out of a sheath in emergency situations(especially when gloved) then messing with a folding knife.

The Benchmade and Spyderco dive knives are always good choices because they are made of N680/X-15 and H-1 alloys respectively, which are engineered specifically to resist corrosion in salt water. Always check the material of construction, many "dive knives" are made from common stainless steel alloys which will corrode and lose their edge in salt water environments. Titanium is also a good choice - its completely inert and won't corrode in natural environments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom