Another dive season coming up for RI/Jamestown/Newport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NO, bolt snap to 6ft leash that I held on to at times. So we were not tethered together. The vis was poor enough that at times you couldn't see your fins. Being as cold as it was it allows us to maintain a relative distance during the dive. Works well as a team. One person navigates. The other watches for depth and maintains the dive plan. Definitely beats losing sight of your dive buddy and having to call it a day due to poor conditions.

Brrr. I am assuming you were diving dry. Thanks for the report.

Semi dry Hollis. Will be there again next week. I have found better vis 30 minutes prior to slack high through slack, or deeper than 60 out at the point. The shallower depths have been bad the last 6 trips. The best I have seen was 25 ft vis at 85 feet off the point during slack high. But it averages 10 to 15 most days.

Hollis semi dry is a great suit. I was in 35 degree water for almost 40 minutes with that suit and never chilled. Just my feet and hands got cold. Thanks for the update. Hopefully the vis improves as time goes by and the weather cooperates.

Report 4/29:

Air temp: 64
Surface temp: 51
Temp at 30: 47
Temp at 65: 45

Dove at 1430 for an hour.
Incoming tide 2 hours from high.
VIS varied, at times 3 feet, but up to 15 feet. I did notice the further I stayed from the rocks on the edge the better the vis became. Water seems to be warming up quickly bring in a larger variety of sea life. Saw a few skate, crab, 1 striped bass, 2 lobster, and 2 horseshoe crab.

swimlikethefish, thanks for the update. What location did you dive at?
My son and I are planning to do Potter Cove and Van Zandt pier in June. I saw on a nautical chart there is a rock called St. Patrick's Rock off Van Zandt. Would like to find that seeing my son is of the same name(Patrick). I thought he would appreciate it.

When discussing the dives I have been talking about FT. Wetherill. That last report from 4/29 was the east cove. Which from the parking lot (https://goo.gl/maps/LwZN3B5JDtw) looking south is the one on your left. I usually get in on the little path on the left. Swim all the way to the point and around. Ending back at the boat ramp in the West side cove.

I hate the walk up the little rock path after a dive, this time of year my feet are usually numb if diving wet. Side note* I dive HP100's, usually after the full circle I have right at 500 left in the tank. no matter how you look at it you are either fighting the current going out, or coming back in. And it does drop off out at the point. If you are not observant you could easily find yourself pushing 3 digit depths. The VIS is usually sub par, so a compass is great. Navigating the 2 coves is easy, head south to the point and follow the rocks. To find the car again head straight north.

Ft Adams - Newport, RI - 5/13/17

Air Temp 56.
Dive time 920 to 1030am
Water temp at 30 was 52.
Water temp at 90 was 50.
Vis was consistent 30 ft.
In coming high, through slack, into out going low.
Got slightly silty toward end of dive but could still see bottom of dive flag in 30 ft of water.

Water is finally warm, with the Temps in the mid 70's this up coming week, might be able to dive a 5mm next weekend for the brave.

Thanks for the report. I am in with my 5 mil as soon as it hits 55.

Back
Top Bottom