Another DIY Backwing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBon92007

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California...too far from the ocean
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I used an old Sherwood backpack and a very old Voit swim vest (Mae West type). The middle part is attached to the backpack by putting the zipper pull through the hole and holding it in place with a cable tie and a brass washer (stainless would be a little better). I attached a section of 3/16" aluminum to the top of the backpack with four cable ties. The top of the Voit vest is held to the aluminum with Velcro. So far the Velcro seems to work just fine. The vest is attached to the tank boot (steel 72) with an old rubber strap I had laying around with a quick release. I utilized the D-Rings that were already there. Very easy. I plugged up the leaky oral inflator with some silicone sealant and attached an oral inflator with power inflator to the top of the vest. I also installed a dump valve at the top. A smaller dump valve might be a better choice as it really is only needed as an over-inflation protection device. I attached an old ScubaPro pocket to the waist strap by making two holes with a soldering iron. The vest has two snap pockets incorporated so that gives me two back pockets which are surprisingly easy to access and snap shut. And, of course, I also attached a couple of snap hooks and a gauge holder to the waist strap.

The entire backwing BC was made from stuff I had laying around. The Voit vest is in amazingly good condition, as is the backpack. I tested the lift but forgot to write it down but I think it was over 20 pounds. It is very easy to attach to a tank and fits nicely in my carry-on luggage without taking up much room. I simply will not bring as many clothes on my trips :wink: I tested this backwing at Catalina Island last weekend and the only problem was locating the inflator by feel. I now have it Velcroed to the left shoulder strap. I put a little air in it at the beginning of the dive and never thought about it again until I let some air out near the end of the dive. What I like most about this is that the little bit of air in it (enough for four-five pounds of lift) shifts as I change position and if I'm horizontal it seems to hold me horizontal, and if I'm upside-down looking under a rock it helps hold me in that position. I have a "soft pad" from an old BC that Velcros to the top, inside of the backpack which will hold up to three, three-pound weights and will place the weight (I'm thinking of using five pounds) in such a place that it should give me excellent horizontal trim. My power inflator hose is a bit long so I need to scrounge up a shorter one.

So far I like this WAY better than any jacket BC I've used.

Questions:

What is wrong with using a plastic backpack for a backwing? I have not seen it and the standard seems to be a stainless steel or aluminum plate.

What do I do when the Voit vest wears out (it might happen but it's probably around 50 years old now)? They are not readily available and the ones I've found "no longer hold air." I was thinking about making a second backwing using an inner tube held into a more rectangular shape with straps and covered with some kind of nylon fabric or whatever. Unless convinced otherwise it will be attached to another old backpack.

Suggestions?

I currently have no need for a crotch strap because I have been recently blessed with a distended abdomen--the waist strap holds very securely below my belly.

I have read some old posts on DIY backwings which describe making the bladder and cover but didn't necessarily understand what products they were using and they were too old to respond to.

WP_20170721_001.jpg WP_20170721_001.jpg WP_20170721_004.jpg WP_20170721_001.jpg WP_20170721_004.jpg WP_20170721_005.jpg WP_20170721_006.jpg WP_20170721_007.jpg WP_20170721_009.jpg WP_20170721_010.jpg WP_20170721_011.jpg WP_20170721_012.jpg

Last edited:
1. most standard BCD's actually have plastic backpacks almost identical to those inside of them. The reason most bp/w's use metal/kydex plates is that these plastic backpacks aren't compatible with doubles unless you have some funky bands that aren't made anymore.
A lot of times if they don't hold air it's due to inflators and dump valves being worn out, not the actual bladders leaking. These can be replaced quite easily. You can DIY bladders if you really want to use that wing, but there are other wings that can work with these types of backpacks

1. most standard BCD's actually have plastic backpacks almost identical to those inside of them. The reason most bp/w's use metal/kydex plates is that these plastic backpacks aren't compatible with doubles unless you have some funky bands that aren't made anymore.
A lot of times if they don't hold air it's due to inflators and dump valves being worn out, not the actual bladders leaking. These can be replaced quite easily. You can DIY bladders if you really want to use that wing, but there are other wings that can work with these types of backpacks

I just happen to have two sets of those funky bands that aren't made any more :)

I know what you mean about the inflators. The number one problem I've seen is they leak into the BC so you are always having to dump air (or disconnect the power inflator hose).

A company called SeaTec, I believe still makes horsecollars and replacement bladders. You may be able to get a new one from them.

A company called SeaTec, I believe still makes horsecollars and replacement bladders. You may be able to get a new one from them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have goggled Sea Tec...noting appeared -- are the still in business ? Where ?

FYI the company was founded in Orange California by Harry Rescigno who passed away about ten years ago. ( You can read his obituary which I posted in Passings on this board )

He sold the company several years before his passing- My last contact with the news owners was about 7-8 years ago. They were only selling to the military at that time

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you !
After all theses years I finally discovered the correct spelling of Seatec !!!
I always referred to the company as 'Sea Tec ; Inflatable systems'

The founder Harry Rescigno ( reee sin O) and I were close friends and dive business associates,

it was Harry who designed and developed the first large diameter oral and later push button BC inflators

From that humble beginnings he developed the a line of PFV & BCs. One major contribution was the double bag concept-- a plastic inner liner with a tough shell .

His company grew into a major manufacture of diving equipment and inflatable devices with his HQ in a large facility in Corona California .

In the later days he concentrated on producing very high quality PFV & BCs for the military and governmental agencies -- all generally out of the price range of the recreational diver

Lots of great memories

SAM

I'm impressed jamesbon92007.
I have been planning a similar route for different reasons....double hose regulator.
I was looking for the thin plastic backpack, but did not find one reasonably priced. I was looking at that exact type of horsecollar to do the same thing. I also thought of using inner tube or a safety sausage with the opv already installed, then cut and seal the other end.
In my search I found a deal on a Zeagle Express Tech Bcd for $50 so that ended my search.

I'm impressed jamesbon92007.
I have been planning a similar route for different reasons....double hose regulator.
I was looking for the thin plastic backpack, but did not find one reasonably priced. I was looking at that exact type of horsecollar to do the same thing. I also thought of using inner tube or a safety sausage with the opv already installed, then cut and seal the other end.
In my search I found a deal on a Zeagle Express Tech Bcd for $50 so that ended my search.

Having dove for about 44 years with no BC whatsoever this was the closest thing to no BC :) I had worn it several times as a vest on deeper dives (past 60-70 ft in 55 degree water) but never put any air in it. It's a good thing because when I was playing around with it I immediately learned that it caused me to float face-upwards and choked me. I wanted to come up with something that would take up very little room in my carry-on and fulfill the requirements of a BC on most dive boats.

I recently found a Zeagle Express Tech for $225 (display model) and I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to replace her jacket BC. Great find on the $50 Zeagle!

BTW, your user name was on my mind all the time I was making this back wing :wink: I mean that as a compliment.

I'm still looking at inner tubes too. I was thinking of something like a 3.50/3.25-18. I'm hoping a dirt bike tube might be extra-thick.

Last edited:
Lolz.
This is one of the reasons why I chose the screen name I did...the other is I shore dive a lot. I am pretty easy to spot, rattle-canned cammo wetsuit and diy 4' [above surface] dive flag.
The Zeagle worked great for DH. I did add a crotch strap from a soft piece of strapping I removed from a piece of luggage I threw out.
Dive 2 was single hose with faber hp117 and I removed the crotch strap. Wow, no way in hell was it going to stay down. Strap reinstalled now.
Curious, how much lead are you slinging with the lp72? I have them an am familiar with their near perfect swing, but with thick neoprene, I don't know.

ETA, forgot to ad this gem...this guy went all out.
DIY wing. Critique and Comments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom