Another DIY Backwing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to my memory (not completely reliable) I was wearing 20 pounds with a single 72 and a 1/4" farmer john with boots and hood. Lately I've been mainly doing the tropics and that's with 18 pounds and a 2.5mm full suit and an AL80. A couple of weeks ago I did a 2.5mm shorty with my 2.5mm long suit over that, hood and booties, a single 72 and wore 15 pounds and had no trouble staying down. I need to start over for my SoCal diving. My 1/4" farmer john is so stiff that next I'm going to try the 2.5mm long suit with the 1/4" jacket (like a long-sleeve shorty) over that. I tried it out in the pool and it was way more comfortable! I figure I need to add about 2 pounds to my shorty + long suit so my GUESS is, with that suit and a single 72, about 17 pounds. I'll probably do 18 for the first try and carry 2 more in my pocket and hand it off at the end of the dive and see how my buoyancy is. For me (170 pounds) I'm still thinking about 20 pounds for a 1/4" farmer john and the 72.

The funny part is that after I figure it out (usually in one or two tries) I never think about it again.

I think it's nice on deeper dives in cold water to be able to add a little buoyancy but it's really only about 4-6 pounds so it's not that big of a deal for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom