Another dub hose reg ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

enzeddiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an Aqualung aqua master reg, do they breath hard. I must be used to the new single hose regs, jeepers. Like trying to drink a CHUNKY strawberry shake through a cocktail stir straw. (not that I tried THAT...lately) :) Just curious, Bill

I have an Aqualung aqua master reg, do they breath hard. I must be used to the new single hose regs, jeepers. Like trying to drink a CHUNKY strawberry shake through a cocktail stir straw. (not that I tried THAT...lately) :) Just curious, Bill

Has it been overhauled in the last 50 years, if not, it probably needs:

New silicone diaphragm
new cage valves
new HP seat
springs
gaskets
O rings
HP diaphragm
hoses

Then it needs to be tuned to the overhaul manual specifications and then it needs to be used by the diver as intended. What do I mean by that, I mean the tank must be fitted low on the back so that the center of the regulator is between the shoulder blades and as close to the back as possible. Then you must learn to breath from it, not the shallow panting divers today do with their single hose but instead long, slow inhalations and exhalations.

"Hard" don't know, breaths good enough for me to 200 feet, is that good enough? No, it will not breath like a single hose, it is more position dependent because the diaphragm is located off center to your lungs.

N

I'm with Nem, mine breathes fine. I would check the position of the regulator on your body, and make sure that the IP and cracking pressure are set right. I set my first stage to 145 PSI (or as high as the seat will hold without creeping), and then adjust my second stage lever just below freeflow. When I place the regulator cans between my shoulder blades, my reg dives just as well as any single hose unit that I have. Silicone parts make a huge difference as well.

sweetaz, thanks for the info. I bought it from an individual who said it was "fine, only dive in a pool though"??? I will try the positioning suggestion first. If that doesn't help, see if I can find anybody who wants to take a peek at it. Thanks again Nemrod and Slonda828, I appreciate it. Bill

"Anybody" is likely to be somebody who once knew a Navy diver and whose cousisn stayed at the Holiday In Express last night. The place to send it is vdh unless you are knowledgeable to rebuild it yourself.

BTW, welcome to the double hose world.

N

VDH will do a great job rebuilding the regulator. They also sell the parts you need to get it rolling again as well as a CD with the manuals and parts schematics, if you to go through it yourself. VDH is a great place to work with. If you dive Lake Michigan, I'm north of Port Washington and have a couple examples of DA Aquamasters and other Aqualung regs that are all tuned up and good to go. Or we could meet inland somewhere too. Shoot me a PM if your interested.

Jim

Your reg can become a sweet breather. The above advice is very good. Are you using a lower pressure tank with this such as a steel 72 with 2250 psi or a 3000 psi tank?
Once you get the DA overhauled and positioned correctly you will love it.

Last Saturday I had my Royal Aqua Master (RAM) with three rebreather divers. Between then there were 2 Meglodons and a Evolution. Of the 4 rigs, the RAM was the easiest breathing.

You most likely just need a good cleaning and rebuild. Properly positioned, my RAM compares very nicely with my Kirby Morgan Superflow 2nd stages.

Nemrod,
I understand the physics part of positioning the cans between your shoulder blades. I don't understand why it has to be as close to your back as possible. Please explain.

Jim

Ideally the regulator would be in your chest, being as this is not possible the closer to the center of your chest, the better.

single_vs_double_hose.jpg

This means if you are using a bent tech plate with a STA perched on top and then the tank hiked up over the head as divers do nowadays, it will breath like c-r-a-p.

regpoisition.jpg

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom