Another Fiji question : Taveuni, Toberua, Naigani

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hopefully, we're going to Fiji for 10 days end of feb : not our first trip there. We've already been diving to the Yasawas (ho hum), Kadavu (Hmmmph... disappointed with Naigoro passage) and from Wananavu (Fantastic)
The only thing is that I am the only diver of my party, my wife and my daughter 16 yo. do not dive, just chill out on the beach or at the poolside.
I don't want to selfishly leave them on a muddy beach or nothing to do while I am getting a blast below water, so I need BOTH good diving and ok beaches or even more than that... nothing's too good.

I said good diving, so no Mamanucas nor Yasawas, please. Besides that, we've already been to Nacula. You can't do better than Oarsman's Bay.

We are planning to go to Taveuni 4 days and some other outer island for 4 or 5 days. My wallet is not super extensible too, I would shell out 300/400usd max a day though since it's not a longer stay. No Matagi, no Qameas nor Namenas for me, unfortunately...

1- first on my list is Taveuni, I know it is not a beach place but an awesome good diving place. I saw Coconut Grove, anyone been there? would you recommend the location? otherwise where else in Taveuni?
They don't have a dive center but I read Vunibokoi dive centre : usually I like small and locally owned dive centres, they know the reef better, any feedback on this one?

2- then I have to choose between two options in the Lomaivitis. Naigani seems a good compromise as for the location but I haven't heard almost anything about the place. baechwise or divewise : any reports or opinions?
Second option is Toberua which seems indeed nice for the beach and accoms but I don't know for the diving, any feedback or anybody knows which spots they are diving (E6, G6, etc. or completely different spots)?

thanks in advance for all your feedback and ideas.
Luko

Hi Luku,

Have a look at Garden Island Resort on Tavenui.

Its the closest resort to Rainbow Reef and has its own dive centre so two dives and you're back for lunch.

You can share three to a room which makes the price pretty good - major renovations completed less than a year ago so its all brand new.

There is a sandy beach about 3 minutes away by boat and a swimming pool.

Hopefully, we're going to Fiji for 10 days end of feb : not our first trip there. We've already been diving to the Yasawas (ho hum), Kadavu (Hmmmph... disappointed with Naigoro passage) and from Wananavu (Fantastic)
The only thing is that I am the only diver of my party, my wife and my daughter 16 yo. do not dive, just chill out on the beach or at the poolside.
I don't want to selfishly leave them on a muddy beach or nothing to do while I am getting a blast below water, so I need BOTH good diving and ok beaches or even more than that... nothing's too good.

I said good diving, so no Mamanucas nor Yasawas, please. Besides that, we've already been to Nacula. You can't do better than Oarsman's Bay.

We are planning to go to Taveuni 4 days and some other outer island for 4 or 5 days. My wallet is not super extensible too, I would shell out 300/400usd max a day though since it's not a longer stay. No Matagi, no Qameas nor Namenas for me, unfortunately...

1- first on my list is Taveuni, I know it is not a beach place but an awesome good diving place. I saw Coconut Grove, anyone been there? would you recommend the location? otherwise where else in Taveuni?
They don't have a dive center but I read Vunibokoi dive centre : usually I like small and locally owned dive centres, they know the reef better, any feedback on this one?

2- then I have to choose between two options in the Lomaivitis. Naigani seems a good compromise as for the location but I haven't heard almost anything about the place. baechwise or divewise : any reports or opinions?
Second option is Toberua which seems indeed nice for the beach and accoms but I don't know for the diving, any feedback or anybody knows which spots they are diving (E6, G6, etc. or completely different spots)?

Luko
Naigani does go to Wakaya and E6 when there is enough people. Wakaya is a good place for Manta and Hammerhead. Diving around Ovalau is good too but I haven't try divesites around Naigani as I stayed in Levuka last time. Ovalau Watersports goes to a divesite called Pipeline which is one of my best dives ever.:)

Luko

Hi Luko,

Coconut Grove is a great place. Ronna the owner is very hands on and it has a family atmosphere. The food is fantastic and the staff is wonderful. I used to live in the area and frequented the place for breakfast/lunch on many occasions.

Toberua Island Resort has tons of diving within minutes of the resort. If you go to the website they have a list/descriptions of what there is to offer. The staff is one of the friendliest in Fiji and you get a true Fijian experience. The food is out of this world, lots of local ingredients and fresh fish. Plenty for your family to enjoy while you are diving. A true island experience.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

@OnTheSpot. Well I must admit that reading the reports, I have mixed feelings about Garden island resort. It is said to be mainly a diver resort, if this is exact I woudln't like to leave my girls on their own there (although they luuuuuuved Borneo Divers' Sipadan at the time we could spend the nights on the island, but Sipadan had a nice beach too).

Have you heard about Rainbow Reef resort which opened recently? Looks pretty nice and fits in my requirements.

@kkfok : have you been on Naigani? can you tell how the accoms and the beach really look like?
I am quite sure with the location that the diving is splendid I fear more about the dinginess of the place. Been to Moso island resort in Vanuatu this summer, would never go back again although I am not asking for much.

@JLWEST : yes, I had read the dive pages on their website, though I felt it was the usual litterature you may find on any dive centre page. I was more looking for first hand experiences on the dive sites and comparisons with say, the Bligh Waters spots. On the other hand I am quite sur my family would love this place, it's more about my diving... :wink:

Mr.Fijidiveguy and all other seasoned Fiji divers, would you come into this thread and share your knowledge?

Beqa Lagoon resort would have enough to keep you family happy if they like meeting people, valley ball, water sports, fishing, kayaking, snorkeling, hiking, learning, and a lot of other fun stuff! The bures are among the best and the diving is great! Entertainment every night and great food!

Sorry that I haven't been to Naigani. I did a trip to Levuka in Ovalau last October.
Some of the dive areas I did can also be reached from Naigani(like Makogai and Wakaya), and they are really good.
Sorry that I can't provide any information about accommodations and beach in Naigani but they seems to be not bad after reading some trip reports in tripadvisor.

What is the diving like in the Mamanucas? I've heard good things, however, this post has me worried. Please advise!

What is the diving like in the Mamanucas? I've heard good things, however, this post has me worried. Please advise!

Well let's say.... it is not the best you can have in Fiji.

Good diving needs deep water running on coral walls/grounds. Mamanucas are in a mostly shallow part of the fijian archipelago, which is windbeaten twice or three times a year by a major cyclone. Imagine what happens with shallow areas.

diving the Mamanucas or the Yasawas is fun but has nothing comparable with the must-do sites like the ones in the Bligh Waters, Somosomo straight, around Ovalau, Kadavu, Beqa Lagoon, (always) packed with colorful corals and (sometimes) fish life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom