Another First Trip to Australia - Leaving soon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElliottM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I apologize up front, as I know my post is somewhat redundant with other posts - which I've read, BTW. The reason for posting separately is that my wife will be traveling to Oz (Sydney & Melbourne) for business, arriving 14/10, so I am looking to go before her, or possibly arrive at the same time and leave after, and dive the GBR. The help I need is as follows:
  • What is the weather like mid-October, assuming I were to depart from Cairns?
  • I am prone to seasickness and am hesitant at the thought of staying on a boat. Given the typical weather, how rough are the seas that I should expect?
  • Are there worthwhile dive trips either from shore or via day trips on a boat? The comments I've read in other threads give me the impression a lob is the way to go.
I am actively searching availability, flights, etc. right now. I would greatly appreciate any and all help.

Elliott

1. Might get a bit of rain, but actual storms are unlikely at that time of year.

2. Given the probable lack of storms, the seas shouldn't be too rough. Take an over the counter seasick tablet before you get on board the boat for the trip out.

3. No shore diving as such - the reef is way too far out. Day trip boats are ok (I've done it for various reasons), but to see the best bits of the reef, a lob is really the best option. I'd be finding a way to get on a lob if I were you. That being said, mid-October is rapidly approaching, you might have a hard time finding lob availability, as they can sell out many months in advance.

Thanks very much, WetPup. I have found two lobs schedules that would work and currently have availability. I am comparing the two schedules with the wife to see what makes the most sense.

Agree liveaboard (Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom) are the best way to see the reef. If you do day trips from Cairns, I like Tusa 6 or Prodive.

Thanks again for the help. As of now I am waiting on confirmation that I am booked for 5 days and four nights on the Spirit of Freedom, departing 13/10.

Please post a report. We are on the SOF one week later.
I will do my best! I am waiting on confirmation that I got the slot on the boat as requested. According to liveaboard.com there were only two slots left on the trip I requested.

fyi diving in both Melbourne and Sydney is excellent. Both have top level shore diving and unusual creatures you won't see on the reef. The pier diving in Melbourne is astounding. You may even see a tassled anglerfish likely to see Weedy seadragons. In Sydney Weedies, Red Indian fish and other interesting stuff.

I know a lot of people post about going to the reef but IMHO posting a thread about your upcoming trip and asking your questions keeps the information alive. Just reading old threads about a topic doesn't keep the topics ALIVE. Thanks for posting :)

We are actually based in Cairns but liveaboard.com are in Bali. Unless you have your spaces already reserved there are no spots left on the13th. Hopefully you have them reserved. Otherwise there are plenty of Outer Reef trips to look at, but I agree with bowlofpetunias here that its well worth considering places outside of the GBR to dive. Personally I grew up on the south coast of Victoria and love the Bay area around Queenscliffe, Sorento etc, but I guess that's to far south to fly.

If you are set on the GBR then as I posted above book early as its peak time now and the Ribbon Reef trips are well booked out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom