another great dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Met at the dive shop and decided to head to Whytecliff Park. Parked and went over a dive plan and partners. Scott and I buddied up. The plan was to go to the islet side. A seal was sleeping on the rocks at the descent point. Vis was stellar. Octo at 58' on the wall. kept on going, crossing sandy nothingness and VOILA!!! the much heard of pinnacle. Fantastic vis. I mean it was pretty near sunshining down at 95'. tons of sponges, 3 types of crab I have to look up in my Andy Lambs book. Assorted fish galore. slight current. WOW. Decided to turn dive and acsended up and over pinnacle, crossed over sandy field in a fair oncoming current. Back onto the islet and cruised back to shore. What a dive!!! Thanks Scott.

Cool,

so let me get this straight, you followed the left wall and where is starts to curve back up you kept going and crossed over the sand and hit it?

yes but came to another wall/shelf, crossed and descended again. sweet wall that seemed to go down forever.

Sounds awesome, Les. I have never seen this elusive pinnacle. In fact, I didn't know there was one.

I had a very nice dive tonight...all we did was a sand dive in the bay, but we spotted tons of stuff...and the exciting bit? DOGFISH! I had never seen one before tonight, and this one was unbelievably curious....he swam right up to me and touched my legs. I finally saw a dogfish! It only took 130 dives. :p

my first dogfish scared me slightly. It was fair sized and kept circling around me about 20' away. was pretty much a silhouette but all I could think of was shark but still knowing that they are not in our waters. "funny" things can happen at 100'.
glad you had a great dive.

Les:
my first dogfish scared me slightly. It was fair sized and kept circling around me about 20' away. was pretty much a silhouette but all I could think of was shark but still knowing that they are not in our waters. "funny" things can happen at 100'.
glad you had a great dive.

http://oceanlink.island.net/ask/chondrichthyes.html#anchor1314706

watch out for those shadows in the distance

Thanks naclydogg. I always thought it to be a dogfish/mudshark but I never saw it close enough. Being at or close to 100', I thought it was bigger than the live specimens I've actually saw up close, but just ASSUMED it to be a mudshark. who knows?????

Back
Top Bottom