Another mask fog fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pescador775

Contributor
Reaction score
I've had this mask for two years, a copy of the SP Frameless. It is a very high quality mask but it fogs up. On the boat, spit had no effect whatsoever. Joy detergent worked for 1/2 hour if the mask also had the saliva treatment. I've never used a mask that absolutely will not break in, not since the plastic mask lens's of the 50's. I tried various cleaners. After each cleaning I would exhale into the wet lens to gauge fog. Here is what happened:

alcohol-fog
vinegar-fog
Dawn detergent-fog
Joy detergent-fog
all of the above + spit-partial fog
toothpaste-fog
Johnson's baby shampoo-no fog

So, the baby stuff worked. However, I found the shampoo bottle on a back shelf and it was more than ten years old. Your results may vary.

pescador775:
all of the above + spit-partial fog
toothpaste-fog
Johnson's baby shampoo-no fog

So, the baby stuff worked. However, I found the shampoo bottle on a back shelf and it was more than ten years old. Your results may vary.

Baby shampoo works nicely. Spit's effectiveness depends on the spitter. I'm reasonably convinced that if anybody's spit works as defog, they're either a smoker, or dehydrated.

In any case, while it's fun to DIY stuff, even a bottle of something like "Sea Drops" is only a couple of dollars, and lasts pretty much forever, even if you share it with everybody on the boat. A whole mask doesn't actually need much more than two drops.

Terry

I never had any luck with commercial defogs except with a mask which is already broken in, and found spit to be as effective in that case. However, this Promate mask won't break in-- even after two years-- I've seen nothing like it. I believe the baby shampoo works because it is slightly sticky. Hair shampoos contain protein from collagen which adheres to surfaces and holds the surfactant in contact with the glass. A quick wash won't remove it as quickly as is the case with detergent. Moreover, a film of baby shampoo won't irritate the eyes.

I've been told that rubbing beach sand (rounded, not cut stones) mixed with water will take the film off that makes it do that.

Hank49:
I've been told that rubbing beach sand (rounded, not cut stones) mixed with water will take the film off that makes it do that.

Toothpaste (white) works better and won't scratch the glass.

Terry

I am curious (and have been) if anyone knows of a no-rinse defogging technique. It can be a pain in the you-know-what when you are shore diving in cold water and have to try and rinse your mask. I am just not a fan. Any ideas?

Web Monkey:
Toothpaste (white) works better and won't scratch the glass.

Terry

Toothpaste always worked for me too. But he said he tried it and it didn't.....desperate times, desperate measures....I was told rounded beach sand (busted up coral, not granite sand or other inland types of hard rock) doesn't scratch the glass.

sarita75:
I am curious (and have been) if anyone knows of a no-rinse defogging technique. It can be a pain in the you-know-what when you are shore diving in cold water and have to try and rinse your mask. I am just not a fan. Any ideas?

Just pre-wet the mask. If you are diving enough it will still be wet from the prior day. If not just splash a little drinking or rinse water in there and lay the baby shampoo to it. Like you I enter the water with my mask donned at the shoreline on most dives. I leave the car with it defogged and ready to wear. As long as you have a little water to help the defogger level you are fine. The last thing you want to do is rinse it away. Even if it's a little smeared it will clear very fast once you have your face in the water and condensation starts to sheet down the glass.

A stubborn mask is almost always a poorly cleaned one. See here.

Pete

pescador775:
I never had any luck with commercial defogs except with a mask which is already broken in, and found spit to be as effective in that case. However, this Promate mask won't break in-- even after two years-- I've seen nothing like it. I believe the baby shampoo works because it is slightly sticky. Hair shampoos contain protein from collagen which adheres to surfaces and holds the surfactant in contact with the glass. A quick wash won't remove it as quickly as is the case with detergent. Moreover, a film of baby shampoo won't irritate the eyes.

Pesky,
Thanks for the baby shampoo tip.
I had a buddy who had a Scuba Pro mask from hell that just would not stay "clean." I decided to take on the task and clean it for him. I went through the usual process of scrubbing the mask with Ajax, toothpaste, shampoo etc making sure that I cleaned the lens, skirt, strap…every square inch of the mask inside and out. Well, it worked but for only one day of diving. Then he was right back to looking through the fog. We finally discovered that he was using a Armor All on his regulator hoses and a few other items and was cross contaminating his mask after handling his other gear. Odd thing that he never had a problem with his older mask with a black rubber skirt.

couv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom