Another newbie needs help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BubbleJen

Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

I'll be coming to Cozumel in about three weeks, but I just recently started my research. I have read through most of the threads, but I still have some remaining questions. Any suggestions, tips, comments would be a great deal of help. This is my first time to Cozumel and I just want an enjoyable and relaxing experience.

1.) Between the Fiesta Americana and Hotel Mexicana, differences pros and cons. Location?? Any other great hotels on the water but within walking distance to downtown?

2.) I also plan on visiting some of the mayan ruins but I haven't read much about it. Any suggestions? Chichen itza, Telum, Coba?? Are there any great places to stay out there for the night? Do I need to plan at least two days to visit these three sites? Are there other good mayan ruins to visit?

Thanks everyone, sorry about all these questions.

Sorry, got no first hand experience there diving or sightseeing, but for what it's worth my brother (a non-diver but historian) raved about seeing Coba.

BubbleJen:
Hello Everyone:

I'll be coming to Cozumel in about three weeks, but I just recently started my research. I have read through most of the threads, but I still have some remaining questions. Any suggestions, tips, comments would be a great deal of help. This is my first time to Cozumel and I just want an enjoyable and relaxing experience.

1.) Between the Fiesta Americana and Hotel Mexicana, differences pros and cons. Location?? Any other great hotels on the water but within walking distance to downtown?

The FA is not within walking distance to town, not in a reasonable time frame, anyway. Casa Mexicana is in town, but it is across the street from the water and doesn't have a dock. Have you looked at Caribe Blu?

2.) I also plan on visiting some of the mayan ruins but I haven't read much about it. Any suggestions? Chichen itza, Telum, Coba?? Are there any great places to stay out there for the night? Do I need to plan at least two days to visit these three sites? Are there other good mayan ruins to visit?

Those are the three biggies in the area. You can do Tulum and Coba in one day; they are only 20-30 miles apart. Chichen-Itza, however, is a 4-5 hour drive from Tulum. Chichen-Itza is the biggest of the three, and the most restored. Tulum is a beautiful place on a cliff overlooking the Caribbean. Coba is very rustic, and you go from site to site on trails cut through the rain forest (the other two are cleared down to grass). Coba also has the tallest pyramid on the Yucatan.

All three are worth seeing, but you'll need two days to do them all. There are hotels at both Tulum and Chichen-Itza, but I don't know much about them.

Cheers,

BubbleJen:
Hello Everyone:

Thanks everyone, sorry about all these questions.

I can recommend a great DM in Cozumel - Betsy White. Both my kids and I did our AOW training with her about 10 years ago. She knows how to find everything and is a hoot, too.
If you are interested, email her at betsywhite@prodigy.net.mx and if you look her up say hi for me.

There are ruins right on Cozumel although nowhere near the scale or beauty of the mainland sites. You might visit the local sites to see if you are interested in spending a day or two travelling and sightseeing on the mainland. Some people are really turned on by the ancient sites but I have heard others are not interested and sorry they spent the time in travel. Just my two cents.

You can also fly to Chichen Itza (and back) from the island- I did it a couple of years ago. I think it was almost $100 each, took 1.5 or so hours, left at around 8 am. Back at about 5 pm. We booked at our hotel.

It is a great thing to see!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom