Another Newbie Weight Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, years ago I did a formal weight check in Maui and concluded that, with my backplate, I didn't need to carry any weight at all. I did the next dive that way, and at the end, decided that two pounds on the cambands make me MUCH more comfortable at the end of the dive. So I put them back.

As someone else said, two pounds is nothing. If it keeps you from having to milk the last few molecules of gas out of your BC, it will make the dive easier. And there isn't always an upline or a kelp stipe to hold onto at the end of the dive!

I don't quite get what you're saying there.

If I've got 500 psi in my tank the last place I'd be swimming is down.

The divers I describe are weighted light for 500 psi, because they never ever get below 1000 psi. If they ever got to 500 psi they would have to take only half breaths and gently swim down continuously, in order to hold a 15' safety stop. :cool2:

I was just paraphrasing one of those divers calling it a half-breath-swim-down-weighting-technique. :idk:

Im Using the "extra" 2lbs on my weightbelt, even though i dont need any weights with my warm water setup. Just makes safety stop bit easier cos dont need drain my wing totally empty.

Back
Top Bottom