Another nose pain issue, low volume mask, tried all the normal fixes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TT_Vert

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm using a low volume scubapro orbit mask. Pain is at the bottom of my nose right at the base of my lip and that associated cartilage. It's not a chafing issue but a constant pressure issue. It occurs about 40 minutes into my first dive of the day and goes away the second mask is removed. I've tried loosening the straps, moving the straps down, equalizing, clearing and re-seating during a dive, etc. I even move it down on my face and pressing down to create a vacuum in hopes it'd stay put however the mask just rises back up. On occasion It's gotten bad enough that I've had to use one hand to hold the mask from riding up onto my nose. I'm not sure if there is anything else I can do aside from using a different mask. I have checked fitment w/ a reg in and it doesn't cause the mask to move at all it's just the pressure during a dive which is causing it to ride up. While out of the water it doesn't sit on the lower part of my nose at all and is very comfortable. I really like this mask and hoped to make it work.

Another thing I noticed which I think is new this last dive trip is that unless I have the mask straps pretty tight I'm hearing a gurgling and bubbling out the top of the mask. I don't think I'm breathing through my nose at all but I only hear the noise when I'm exhaling which makes me suspicious. The mask seal is in good shape and I was clean shaven not that it'd matter w/ a leak at the top rim of the mask. Can anything cause this aside from me breathing through my nose inadvertently? If I tighten the strap a hair that goes away. The nose pain issue was there prior to this gurgling out the top of the mask so I don't think they are related.
Dave

Last edited:
I breathe out through the nose all the time, it equalizes both my mask and my ears. As long as the mask doesn't leak and/or fog, why is that a problem? As for the pain, I'm guessing a different mask might be in order. I have mine ("regular" volume) press there sometimes but adjusting the mask & strap position works for me. Do you have the snorkel on? If so, you might want to to try it with the snorkel in your pocket.

no snorkel. I do breathe through my nose sometimes to equalize however I mention this because it is "possible" that as you equalize the mask slides up a hair and puts pressure on my nose. However in my case the mask pushes up into the bridge of my nose even if I move it down. I find this odd as when I'm out of the water the mask doesn't even contact my nose in this spot. Is this the air in the mask causing the upwards pull of the mask into my nose?

Dave

Last edited:
Could be both air and mouthpiece, but as I said, on mine adjusting it fixes it for the rest of the dive. And some dives it doesn't ride up at all. So I dunno...

It sounds to me as if you have made all the reasonable adjustments and you are still uncomfortable. Time to try a new mask.

If you are interested in trying a different low Volume mask, give the MAKO Minimus mask a try. If it is not comfortable and leak free (or you have any other issue with it) I will accept a return. We guarantee you will love it.. Might be worth a try.

Minimus

MMM-2T.jpg

Well short of taking a side picture with your mask on to see strap position on your head which is probably OK, this mask will now be your backup. There are many good low volume masks out there. I use the yellow tinted masks such as single lens Riffe. Good Luck!

Yes, equalizing can cause the mask to loosen and move to a different position. If you are in a swimming pool this should be its normal position. Like you are forcing it downward when out of the water or on the surface to make it more comfortable out of its normal relaxed position. If you have it too tight it will move to the angle the straps are pulling. A different style strap may pull backward and not upward. But it seems like this is not the right mask for you.

I've tried many positions of the strap and none of them allow the mask to stay low enough not to put pressure on my nose (Only while diving). I do move it where it isn't pressing on my nose but unless I hold it it will just ride back up to that same spot, no matter what I do that is what happens. I'd buy a new mask but problem is I only dive when I go on vacation and it may be a while. I can certainly take you up on that offer MAKO when the time comes. I wonder how much the 2 lenses will change my vision as I currently have a 1 pc lens.

I had exactly the same problem. Even if they felt fine after trying the masks for 10mins on the ground, they would always hurt the bottom of my nose after 30-40 min in the water. I must have tried at least 10 different masks before I found one that would not hurt my nose. It's the atomic frameless.

can you say what is different on the atomic than the others that made iyt more comfortable for you? That thing is not cheap.

Dave

Atomic Frameless 2 has an extra soft 'skirt', (mask is actually made of 2 different types of silicone) which I suspect would be the best version for you. it comes in 3 sizes as well, so there's a very good chance you'll be very happy with this mask.

Back
Top Bottom