Another other bp/w question..... and more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonyc

Contributor
Reaction score
I ran into a new problem on my first dive vacation. I just returned from Costa Rica and the dive boats we dove from had no swim ladder. We were in pretty rough water and with the stern of the dive boat bouncing up and down and the diesel exhaust in my face, I could not get out of my bp/wings on the surface. They wanted us to 1. hand up weights 2. get out of the bc and hand it up 3. fins off then climb on in. Hmmmm.... I've never tried getting out of my bp on the surface and now here I am in rough conditions. My old bc that has been sacrificed to the DIR gods had more snaps and clips and fit so loosely that I never had trouble. I have taken my bp/w off on the bottom before by pulling it over my head. I now have my bp straps tight- maybe too tight? I've never had any formal training with my backplate.
After I took my weight belt off, I was pretty floaty with two 3mm on (water temp was low 60's). I also kept getting caught on my wrist compass and dive computer. What's the proper technique for getting out of your bp/w on the surface??? How do you keep from getting your wrist computer from getting caught in the strap?

BTW, The crew was very unfamiliar with our gear. They were always rushing us into the water... "I will help you get into your bc, just sit here with your fins" Well ten minutes later I'm taking my bp/w off to untangle my long hose that they have somehow knotted up in my bp. I almost feel I was frowned upon for my rig. They would take your gear after the dive, clean it, store it and set it up the next day.... Sounds good right??? well on the second day, my wife's octo tubing was broken. It was an accident right? On day three I got on the boat to find both my wife's and my octo necklace pulled out. (I have them ziptied- might have to find a new way of doing this as well). On the first dive my tank was so high up that I had to struggle to look forward because of the valve.
lessons learned I guess.
Well looks like I've got a few more things to practice at the lake now.

Tony.

You know what needs to be done:
  • Learn to set up your own gear, quickly and efficiently.
  • Learn to get in and out of your own gear, quickly and efficiently.
  • Ask the dive operators to keep their hands off your gear, even if that means you have to sherpa your own stuff.
Any disdain they may have had for your rig might relate to the fact that neither you nor they are proficient with it. If you need training, get it. Trying to figure out everything on your own is inefficient at best and often leads to expensive and/or dangerous mistakes.

You might also consider not using a dive operator that rushes you through the gearing up phase, doesn't offer a swim ladder and doesn't turn the engines off while you're clambering out of the water. The latter, especially, is not good - it's just too easy to knock the engine into gear and chew you to pieces.

Don't fool yourself - you've got a lot of things to practice at the lake. Be safe.

Reef raff,
I don't claim to be anything but a newbie. I really love DIR philosophy and am now fully kitted out in a DIR rig. The problem is where do you go for formal training??? I would like to get more dives in before taking DIR-F, and most of the instructors I've come across don't know much about backplates. I am very safety oriented. This was my first dive vacation, I was just certified in September. Mostly I dive California waters and dive from a boat where I set up my gear or shore dive. After suiting up in a 7mm you learn to get your kit on quickly. I was just asking for some advice.

You don't need to wait to get moer dives under your belt to take the DIRf class, you should find an instructor and take it now. You can have all the DIR gear in the world and that doesn't make you DIR, you need to know how to use the gear you have and have the right skills.

Also I never let anyone set up my gear. If its part of the deal you got then just tell them thank you but you prefer to do it yourself. Also did you ask how your back up reg (its not an octo any more if you are DIR) necklaces got un zip tied? I would want answers. And I certainly would not dive with this op anymore if they don't take care of your gear while they are watching it.

I agree with Wendy completely...I am the only one that sets up my gear. As far as practicing with your gear configuration, I believe that a pool (or shallow, calm open water) is the best place to do so. You have a very controlled environment, and can focus upon the newly introduced skills.

Greg

The problem is where do you go for formal training???
Good question! DIR Fundies is taught by a select few and the standards for them are very high, so some of the usual admonitions about "know your instructor" aren't so critical. Start with your local clubs and shops and ask if any of them are sponsoring DIRF courses this summer, you can also check in with GUE and Fifth Dimension to let them know you're interested and would like some location information.

I think you should train in the same conditions that you dive, especially for DIRF. The great sand ocean not being a hot spot for diving, you might look to the Caribbean or SoCal.

Hi Tony,

Getting out of the harness at the surface is not too tough; as mentioned above, practice will help the most. However, I can attest that it is far easier to get in & out of a single tank rig in a wetsuit than in & out of a double (steel) tank rig in a drysuit ;-).

Some quick tips for practicing the process, presuming you are diving in a wetsuit in a single-tank kit: First, at the surface, deploy the long hose so it is no longer around your neck, but put the reg back in your mouth, particularly if surface conditions are rough. Second, remove the back-up bungee from your neck. Lean back just enough that the lift of the wing (and the AL80 cylinder) are under you. That way they help to buoy you up. Don't have the wing over-inflated. Undo the waist strap buckle and crotch strap. Now pull the rig down and under you while you are still facing the surface, pulling both arms out of the harness straps. This way you can keep the reg in your mouth while removing the bp/wing. If conditions are calm, clip off the primary reg and hand the whole kit up to those on the boat.

If getting the harness off is tough using the process I described, you probably have the harness too tight, particularly the arm/shoulder straps. They should be snug, but not restrictive. You should be able to easily get three figners under the webbing at your D-rings. You will get comprehensive assistance with properly fitting the harness in a DIR-Fundamentals course. Good luck, keep practicing, and keep diving.

PS - Tony, I see that you are in Phoenix. I just remembered that Scuba Sciences (in Phoenix) is hosting a Fundamentals class in June. The instructor is Tamara Kendel; she taught my Cave 1 class and she is great. Here's a link to their website for all the info: http://www.scubasciences.com/gue_dir_course.htm

Wendy:
You can have all the DIR gear in the world and that doesn't make you DIR.

I know that Wendy. Like I said I'm a new diver and don't claim to be anything else. I kind of feel like sometimes I'm looked down upon because as a new diver I have this set-up. btw, thanks for the tip on the back-up reg.

GUEdiver, thanks for the great advice. I do think my shoulder straps are too tight. I want to take DIR-F but kind of agree with reef raff that it should probably be done in the ocean. I've heard great things about Tamara and know a SoCaller who came out here and dove in our mudhole just to take her class. However, I really (REALLY REALLY) don't like the owner of the Phoenix SSI and don't want to give him another penny. that's another story though. I do think really highly of Karen Cleveland though and feel I was really lucky to have the instructor that I had there (Bill). I will miss him, maybe one day I'll get over this grudge.

Until then Practice, practice practice at the lake.
Thanks everyone.

Tony -

Another option is to contact Tamara directly (tamara@gue.com) and connect with the San Diego group of DIR divers. I think they are pretty active and organized. Their website is www.sdue.org. You don't have to complete a DIR-F to dive with them. I bet they would be happy to do some dives with you and make sure you know when the next DIR-F is going to be in their territory.

Good luck and I hope you can find a class that works for you soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom